Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Maxxis Shorty – Exo casing -v- non exo
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Need a new front tyre and considering one of these.

Normally would go for the Exo casing, but Next Day Tyres are out of stock (26″). Am I going to suffering pinchflats right left and centre if I go for a non-exo?

Riding is mostly Peaks rockiness, with the odd bit of Lakes/Wales chucked in.

Ta!

solamanda
    Free Member

I think the EXO casing is really good but some friends have been able to shred them. I wouldn’t consider non-exo as the stability is also useful.

Plus why are you still on 26″? Don’t you know that size doesn’t work anymore 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t do it.

Consider a Muddy Mary instead? Better on the rocks anyway IME.

chakaping
    Free Member

I meant a Magic Mary of course.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Don’t the Schwalbes wear out exceptionally quickly?

The other option is another Minion Exo 3C – although I wasn’t too impressed with how long the current one hasn’t lasted before the side knobs have rounded off.

@solamanda :bird: 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They don’t actually get a chance to wear out, as all the side knobs split, then start to tear at the base. The tyre is next to useless then.

I’ll say the Magic Mary in most conditions is a grip monster, better than the Shorty, but it’s life cycle is dire. I have a 3 month old Shorty that looks better than a three day old MM. I’ll never run Schwalbe again.

That’s a Trailstar compound Vs a Maxx Terra.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve ridden Trailstar Hans Dampfs on the rear of two bikes – with plenty of rocks and heavy braking – and wear has honestly been minimal. Friends have also had good life out of them.

Seen a few people post about quick wear though, could they have improved the rubber formula?

chakaping
    Free Member

I wondered the same about my Maxxis HR2 3C – which went all crumbly after less than a year of front use, while the same age DHR2 on the back is still fine.

Not my normal experience of Maxxis 3C.

I’d still recommend the HR2 for your kind of riding as well JonEdwards.

honourablegeorge

Schwalbe did a Q&A on Pinkbike… said the issue with knobs tearing off was a bad batch and the tyres would be replaced under warranty. Zero issues with mine.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’d still recommend the HR2 for your kind of riding as well

Had HR2 3Cs. 3 months and the side knobs are hanging off and folding over under load. Not good enough for the cash. Was good when it was new though.

mactheknife

Jon, i found a good alternative to a shorty is a minion DHR2. In 26″ you can get all the compounds your hear desires. I have run them front and rear for the last 6 months and they have never let me down.

tom.nash

Shorty front, DHR2 rear, both Exo 3C – awesome combo 8)

getonyourbike
    Free Member

If what you’re riding is mostly rocky then the Shorty is unnecessary. My go to front tyre when it isn’t really muddy is a 2.4 HR2 3C EXO. I get 6 months out of one of them on the front, and this is from someone that tears the sideknobs off a rear 2.3 3C HR2 in a month. They also bite better all round. Give it a go.

danbo
    Free Member

No issues with my Shwalbe tyres either. been running a MM on the front for a year and its still going and love the Hans as a rear tyre.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Shorty – Exo casing -v- non exo’ is closed to new replies.