Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • maxxis non TR tyres going up tubless ok?
  • sofaboy73
    Free Member

looking at changing to a minion DHF 2.5 EXO super tacky compound on the front, but they are their non Tubless Ready tyres – anyone got experience of getting these to go up ok with a stans kit on stans rims?

medoramas
    Free Member

I posted similar question some time ago, but this was regarding their Aspen tyres, eXCeption series. And I had no luck with it, even with a compressor and with a “tubeless-experienced” friend’s help. Tried the innertube trick, all the tricks with the tyre lever… It just didn’t work.

Got the TR Crossmark and it went up straight away, with a track pump – even without any attempt of pre-seating the bead! (it was the same wheel!) So from my experience it is worth to pay a bit more for TR rubber, to avoid disappointment and money wasting.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve got Aspens and Crossmarks (non-TR) inflated in the past, they just leak a lot though (sealant through the sidewalls, which in wet conditions isn’t great). I would def go with the TR version if there is one (although on a DH tyre I’m guessing the sidewalls won’t be as flimsy/leaky so might work fine).

kimbers

ive found the non TR ardents fine, they leaked a bit thru the sidewalls, but not for long
    and non tr exo HR was absolutely no problem setting and staying up tubeless

davosaurusrex

All the TR Maxxis I’ve had have gone up with a track pump no bother, sometimes without even putting the sealant in.

Northwind

Never had a harder use maxxis foldy that didn’t work perfectly tubeless- they have good quality beads and generally quite a lot of rubber in them. If you’re buying new it does make sense to buy the TR but otherwise I’d have no concerns about that minion

chiefgrooveguru

No problems with an HR2 2.4 Exo 3C. Just slightly more leakage around the bead for the first few minutes until the sealant did its job.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Cheers for replies. Would get a TR version but they don’t appear to do one of the 2.5 in the super tacky compound. Will give it a whirl then

warpcow
    Free Member

sofaboy73 – Member
    looking at changing to a minion DHF 2.5 EXO super tacky compound on the front, but they are their non Tubless Ready tyres – anyone got experience of getting these to go up ok with a stans kit on stans rims?

I’ve set up exactly that kind of tyre on various tubeless rims, including Stan’s, without issues.

BillOddie

Not convinced there is any difference (bar the logo) between the TR and non-TR EXO tyres.

Both go up easy peasy with trackpump assuming the bead is clean and free of dried sealant.

chiefgrooveguru

bar the logo) between the TR and non-TR EXO tyres.

There is – all the TR tyres have a smooth glossy looking bead with a slightly squarer edge, whilst the non-TR has a more textured matt looking bead with with a slightly rounder cross-section. They come out of a different mould, so the non-TR Exo tyres tend to be the ones that are also sold in dual-ply with the exact same tread and dimensions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘maxxis non TR tyres going up tubless ok?’ is closed to new replies.