Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Maxxis Minion DHR2 sizing help
  • nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Evening all.
    I was just about to purchase a 27.5 x 2.4 version until I realise that these don’t exist and 2.3 is the only option in foldable. Any ideas how the 2.3 measures up in comparison to a 2.35 muddy Mary? I have a 26×2.4 minion dhr which is the perfect width and I’m hoping the 27.5 x 2.3 maybe similar?
    Cheers all

chiefgrooveguru

On Flow EX rims I measured the Magic Mary as 60mm carcass, 62mm tread vs the 2.3 DHR3 at 57mm for both. Don’t know if Muddy Mary is the same size as the Magic Mary – check reifenbreiten-datenbank.de

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

I actually meant magic not muddy so that’s helpful, thanks chief!

chiefgrooveguru

Good! I think the 2.3 DHR2 is a really good size for hard riding – big enough that you can run low pressure, not so big it gets boingy or squirmy easily if pressure is a bit high or a bit low, decent clearance etc in mud. I’d go for something bigger and/or tougher if always riding rocky stuff though.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Arrr darn it.., my riding is rocky!

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve not had any issues running the DHR2 on rocks. Front about 24psi, rear 26psi tubeless on Flows. I’m a portly 14st too.

richwak
    Free Member

I have mounted both on 31mm internal rims and the magic mary has condsiderably move volume than the dhr. Unable to run a enduro gaurd up front on my pikes as there is no clearance with the maric mary, plenty of room with the dhr.

Grace
    Free Member

I had a minion DHF on the back for 3 weeks in the (rocky) alps last month.. Perfect – no issues. Tubeless about 20-23 psi…

chiefgrooveguru

I think the 2.3 DHR2 is a really great tyre, and I’m certainly not going to take it off the front when heading to rocky places. I just personally think that when riding rocks all the time it’s even better to have more tyre volume and ideally even tougher sidewalls. And that tread pattern isn’t as critical (the DHR2’s is awesome) but that compound matters a lot – DHR2 3C is great (but probably won’t last forever on the back).

So if they did a 2.5 DHR2 that would be even more awesome. But right now I’d probably put Trail King 2.4 Protection on a dedicated rock riding bike – huge volume, excellent compound, tough sidewalls and Apex pinch flat protection.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Minion DHR2 sizing help’ is closed to new replies.