Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Maxxis Minion DHF as a back tyre
  • Chisel
    Free Member

Has anyone run the 2.5 Minion DH Front as a back tyre if so what do you think to it?

redx

Not a 2.5, but usually run 2.35 DHF’s front and rear. Works fine round South Wales. Can’t remember ever trying it in thick claggy mud mind….

bigbadbob
    Free Member

I use a 2.35 on the back, great fun, good for the muddy stuff. I would say a 2.5 would be a bit large for the back, stick it on the front and get a 2.35 for the back. Smaller tyres cut through the mud better, or so they say.

skipwizard
    Free Member

Hey i have the rear and front maxxis minion dh tyres on my rockhopper i ride the woodland trials and dj. I personaly would rate these very well, you will find yourself sticking to the trials like a fly on shit and exellent cornering. The grooves are also specialy designed for accelerating and stoping i would defo recomend them for this time of year and the price is good to. I found these tyres even perform well at a high psi

watsontony
    Free Member

dont know if its been said or not but….. the dhf has more grip. the dhr is designed for not locking up during braking but offers less cornering grip. so dhf’s all round give better all round grip but rear wheel will lock up easier.

most dh’ers that ride minions use dhf both ends

wysiwyg
    Free Member

There’s now the dhr2. Waaay better than the dhr.

drewfus
    Free Member

like the others have said 2.5 is a little large for the rear on a trail bike if that’s what you’re thinking. I run a 2.35 exo front and rear on my spicy and like the way they handle. I have run 2.7 on the front and a 2.5 on rear when on my Downhill bike tho and these were supertacky.

skipwizard
    Free Member

I use the 2. 35 on the front and the 2.5 rear

ashfanman
    Free Member

I just replaced my rear Larsen with a 2.35″ DHF to match the front. (While fun, the Larsen’s lack of winter grip was really beginning to get me into trouble.)

Had my first ride on it today – noticeably draggier but seems fine. Although had a slightly bizarre sensation that the tyre was flat – I actually stopped to check a few times – despite it being at the same pressure.

bigbadbob
    Free Member

skipwizard – just try them the other way round, you might be pleasantly surprised.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I recall a thread on here saying the minion DHR’s were pants and a few had High Rollers on the back DHF minions up front.

A few ran DHF’ at the back I recall.

From that I started using DHF Minions on the front and High Rollers at the back on both bikes with 2.5’s on the “Alp” bike and 2.3’s on the hard tail.

Been happy everywhere.

skipwizard
    Free Member

Really bigbadbob ?? Sounds crazy but anything is worth ago to improve performance and enjOy experimenting

wallop

DHF front and rear in the alps. Had loads of grip.

Northwind

People using DHRs on the rear are weird.

andyrm
    Free Member

I run DHF 2.35 front and rear on main trail bike (Bionicon Edison – 140/160 travel) but a DHF 2.5/2.35 f/r combo on the bigger bike (Bionicon Supershuttle FR 170/170).

Awesome rear tyre. Loads of grip, good roundish profile, holds nicely into corners but can be pushed into a drift quite easily. Highly recommended.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Minion DHF as a back tyre’ is closed to new replies.