Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 opinions?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

I’ve been running a 2.35 Hans Dampf for about 3 months and have started to rip off knobs. I want to replace it with something similar in size and volume.

I’ve got a 2.3 DHR2 which is a 2.25 really and looks a bit narrow for the front.

Does anyone have a newer 2.5 DHF and if so, how does it size up?

Cheers

Ricks

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve got the EXO 2.5. It’s chunky, far bigger than the old 2.35, a bit too heavy, but otherwise does the job just as much as the old 2.35, and so far no side wall tears so maybe the EXO is doing the job, or I’ve just been lucky.

Sizing is about the same as my 2.4 HR2 I have on the rear, which again is much bigger than the old 2.35.

I mainly wanted the EXO but they only had it in 2.5 at the time. I’d swap it for a new 2.3, which apparently is bigger than the old 2.35, but can only see a dual or 3C EXO which are heavier than the 2.5

What I really want though is a HR2 that is as light as the old HR. It’s a lovely grippy tyre, but it’s damn heavy for a single ply folding tyre.

philwarren11
    Free Member

I have a 2.5 DHF EXO and its an ok size, certainly not massive and probably not 2.5″, probably more like 2.4, i think the 2.4 HR2 EXO which i run the rear is slightly wider.

I’ll get some exact measurements if you want.

zerocool

Best front tyre I’ve ever used. Usually had 2 ply DH ones, but recently fitted a 2.5 EXO as a weight/grip compromise and loving it. So reliable and predictable and nowhere near as slow as people moan about.

Most of the time I run a 2.35 or 2.5 on the front and a 2.35 on the rear.
    Currently trying something faster rolling on the back but think I prefer the control they offer when the bike is banked right over so will be swapping back.

Tom KP

rickon
    Free Member

Ordered a 2.5 3c exp, will see how it comes up. If it’s a bit big then I may have one for sale!

grahamt1980

I swapped out a 2.35 minion for a 2.5 not long back on my bandit.
    Wish I had done it ages ago to be honest. The smaller size is about the same as a 2.1 nobby nic. With the 2.5 much better sized

Northwind

Someone on here put it really well- Maxxis are really good at making stuff out of rubber but it’s not the ideal material for a ruler.

duir
    Free Member

Just did 4 days riding in Aberdeenshire with Minion EXO 2.5 front and EXO 2.3 rear. Serious distance (62K/6000’ascent on first day alone) and rough as hell in places. Not one puncture or flat and an insane amount of grip on all surfaces even mud/roots. Both front and rear went up first time with a track pump tubeless on mavic UST, and stayed up. The 2.5 wasn’t even tubeless ready.

I can’t tell the difference in size when looking at the 2.5 and 2.3. In future I will run the 2.3 both ends as they are a great size.If you don’t mind the drag, love massive grip and prefer to never flat then this is the tyre for most of the year.

iain65
    Free Member

Hi rickon, had exactly the same problem with a trailstar Hans Dampf at the weekend and starting pulling the side knobs off, very surprising as I definitely do not lean on the bike hard and it seems to have happened after only 2 days at Afan, was also looking at a 2.5 Minion DHF to replace it with, would be interested to know how you get on.
    ps Thanks again for the BB inserts you sent me ages ago, still working fine.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I have a 2.5 DHF I would say it is about the size of a 2.4 Chunky Monkey and smaller than a 2.35 HD and it is definitely bigger than a 2.3 DHR II but not by that much. DHR II 2.3 rear and 2.5 DHF front is my current combo. The DHF is similar to grip levels of the Chunky Monkey but I think it rolls a bit faster, is better under braking and I think it is spikier which helps in the mud. The DHR II has similar characteristics as the DHF, a little grippier than the 2.25 Smorgasboard and Hans Dampf, noticeably better under braking and traction for climbing. The combo is definitely way better than HD despite being smaller IMO.

goby

I have exactly the same problem with my HD, so now runing the old front HD on the rear and got a magic mary up front.
    Did used to have the old maxxis HR LUSt version which lasted ages and rolled a bit quicker to.
    Will follow this thread for sure!

BadlyWiredDog

I can’t tell the difference in size when looking at the 2.5 and 2.3. In future I will run the 2.3 both ends as they are a great size.If you don’t mind the drag, love massive grip and prefer to never flat then this is the tyre for most of the year.

The 2.5 is detectably larger if you run it up front, but the 2.3 – unlike the old 2.35 – actually runs pretty much true to size and isn’t much larger than the 2.5. It’s also available in TR if that’s an issue for you, though the 2.5 EXO works fine on a Flow in tubeless mode for me.

They’re both fit and forget front tyres with loads of grip, but I kid myself that the 2.5 feels a little more tenacious, though that’s probably just a psychological thing. Anyway, as lots of people have already said, it’s fat, tough and grippy. I run a 2.25 Ardent out back and it’s a good all-round combo for the Peak at least.

BadlyWiredDog

fusssinwussingrrrrrr….

lornholio
    Free Member

2.35 and 2.5 are the old sizes which measure small. The new 2.3 and 2.4 are more true to size, similar to other brands. Minion sizing from narrowest to widest goes:

Two summers ago I had 2.5 DHFs front & rear. This summer 2.5 DHF front, 2.4 DHR II rear. Next summer will be 2.5 DHF front, 2.3 DHR II rear.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Specialized Butchers are betterer…possibly…I think…maybe…

dirtydog
    Free Member

2.5 Dhf Exo measures 61mm wide across the widest point(side knobs).

Measured on a Arch Ex at 30psi.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

The spec butcher I ran only lasted two rides before it snake bit punctured at the rim…
    I was hoping to use it as a lighter option to the minion…

I had a spec ground control on the back of the ht, and sliced the side wall pretty early on in its life…

Every now and then I try another brand of tyre, and always get disappointed and go back to maxxis

On the fs, Minion dhf 2.3 on front dhr2 on the back now…. Upped to dual plys for uplift days
    But I am hard on tires and rims, and ride in a rocky area

Northwind

fitnessischeating – Member

The spec butcher I ran only lasted two rides before it snake bit punctured at the rim…

Try again with enough air? 😉 There’s a Grid version now which is tougher… But I still wish they did a stickier version, the DH Butcher uses a stickier rubber but identical tread and it makes a big difference in the wet.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

You quite possibly have a bit of a point

I kinda cursed it, as I bought it hoping for a “minion light” and on the car journey up the guy i was with was asking what I thougt we had a conversation that went to this effect…

It seems quite a bit more fragile than the ust minion I’ve got up front at the moment, but that’s fine as its a lot lighter and who punctures their front tyres…..

Was inevitable really?

nickdavies

Use the Exo version in 42a in the UK and the dual ply version in 42a in the alps. Have a 60a 2.5 also which either goes on the back in the alps if lift assisted or on the front if pedalling. 2.5 sizes up nicely, not mahoosive plenty of clearance in a pike but loads of grip.

To sum up – brilliant.

rickon
    Free Member

Right then, rode the Dhf 2.5 last night. Grip wise and control its head and shoulders above the Hans Dampf.

Its a little wider, not by a noticeable amount though, it’s a little heavier, but I can still easily Sprint hard with it and it’s doesn’t feel draggy at all.

The walls look solid, the knobs look like they’re not going to rip off like the HD.

Its the easily tyre I’ve tubelessed, which is the opposite experience I’ve had with Maxxis with their non TLR tyres.

I’ve been running far higher pressures than with the HD, as it’s so grippy, which makes the feel and feedback muh better.

It leans very well into corners, riding the outside knobs just feels confident.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 opinions?’ is closed to new replies.