Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Maxxis Ikon 2.35 as a rear.
  • simon80
    Free Member

Hi, looking for a rear tyre for the British summer.
    I saw that Jared Graves ran an Ikon in some races.
    I am considering one in 2.35 maxspeed Exo tr. It will be used everywhere from lakes mountains to trail centres.
    Anyone have any experience or opinions to share?

deviant
    Free Member

I looked at that too….also interested in anybody’s feedback.

I used a Larsen as a rear last summer and it was bloody brilliant, so fast…with a HighRoller up front it was drift time at the back end!

AlexSimon

Amazing how many bike checks at Sea Otter had them on the back

welshfarmer

I run one in 29 flavour out back with a Mountain King out front. I loves it. Handles almost every surface well and is fast rolling. Taken some fair abuse and not had a flat yet (tubeless). And it even works on mud but you need to master the Skandinavian Flick to get round corners 🙂

SirHC

Been running an ardent race on the back (exo TR) and a minion front. Rear has plenty of traction and let’s go very predictably, actually prefer it to the ardent it replaced.

daveh
    Free Member

I use a 2.2 3C TR EXO (plus many other symbols, basically the best one) in 29 flavour. No complaints, good fast tyre. And of course the 2.35 is bigger and better!

g5604
    Free Member

I have one on the back. It is fast,but lacks grip – I notice this a lot on technical climbs. I am running it backwards, which is a little better

burt
    Free Member

Run a 26in version on the back. Fast rolling but skips about a lot under hard braking.

simon80
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Just out of interest, how does it cope with lumpy,technical stuff? I will occasionally do some easy downhill,will I die?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had the XC 29r, good but prefer the Ardent race for XC duties and the Ardent for trail. If I had the skills of Graves I might consider it

timb34
    Free Member

Anyone know how these size up, ie Is the size of the 2.2 and 2.35 really that?

Quite a few reviews talk about how the Ikon has lots of volume, which I could do with after a recent Vittoria AKA 2.0 purchase (good rear tyre, but really quite small compared to the 2.0 FastTrak that it replaced)

AlexSimon

The new Maxxis tyres are measured quite consistently, so the 2.35 will be quite voluminous.

simon80
    Free Member

I have tried buying an Ardent Race exo 3c tr but there are none in stock.
    Could anyone let me know their experiences or riding Ikons in typical forest conditions – steep, rooty and wet(ish)?
    If they can cope then I will pull the trigger. My dhr2 3c was way sloooow last night!

jam-bo

I’ve not ridden a ikon but I’m thinking about a set. I can be pretty sure that steep roots and wet will not be their forte.

welshfarmer

Rode mine down the old Dragon DH track on the back of the 29 HT the other night and it was fine. Pretty wet and greasy and plenty of roots and rocks. Also used it on the HT in extreme wet conditions at the Black Mountain Cycle Centre (heavily DH/freeride type tracks) and I didn’t die. I really really rate the tyre.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Ikon 2.35 as a rear.’ is closed to new replies.