Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Maxxis Highroller 2.35 UST Super Tacky Equivalent???
  • jambon
    Free Member

My favourite tyre stopped being made years ago and the only one I have left is, well, knackered.

I can’t seem to find anything similar in the Highroller II guise on CRC. And HR IIs seem rather costly for a bike tyre.

I’m using a HR 2.5 Supertacky UST at present but it weighs over 1,400g which is just silly.

Are the Spesh Eskars up to the job?

I really want to run low pressure and have plenty of grip.

Also, where to buy.

Ta, J

jambon
    Free Member

Answering my own thread – anyone managed to get any Butcher Control 2.3s yet?

They sound perfect on paper.

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-butcher-control-tyre-pair-2013

J x

deus

they look more Minion-ey than High Roller-ey

jambon
    Free Member

But they’re 2Bliss, 2.3″ and 50 Durometer which is pretty darn close. On paper that is…

daleman
    Free Member

Just bought 2 high rollers 2.35 ust £40, from merlin cycles if thats any help.

jambon
    Free Member

None at Merlin look like 42a SuperTacky compound except the 2.5″, which, as I mentioned, weigh 2 tyres each.

The 70a compound is useless as a front tyre in any condition and I’d like something grippier that the 60a for the trails I ride: dry dusty, very loose over hard-pack and VERY steep at times.

Thanks though.

jonk

I run a regular 2.35 ST wire high roller tube less with sealant and its perfect. Its never burped nor leaks. I had the last one for over a year and it didnt perish with stans sealant.

matther01
    Free Member

Just bought a pair of Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 EVO’s from Bike Discount de for approx £57.00 (inc postage).

They are pretty light, well protected, super grippy…but maybe not that fast if this is any use?

jambon
    Free Member

I’ve been warned off Schwalbe tyres by my association with a Nobby Nic I bought recently. A thoroughly awful tyre in all respects. Maybe the HD is better but I don’t feel that Schwalbe deserve my money!

Maybe I’ll go with the cheapo wire HR option, I’ve considered it before but worried about pinchs and the like as it’s really rocky where I live and I like low pressures.

juan
    Free Member

I would recommend that you get close to a real LBS. Mine still get HR 2.35 ST LUST or Dual Pli on a very regular basis.

jambon
    Free Member

Really? I didn’t realise that a ST LUST was ever made. I bought a HR LUST sold as ST by CRC but it was as hard as nails – 70a durometer. Put it on the back and it blistered and fell apart in the way that the LUST tyres have an unfortunate habit of doing.

My LBS when I live in the UK hadn’t been able to get them for years as, my mate at the LBS, loves them and can’t get them for himself.

I live in the middle of nowhere in Spain so LBS is a tad tricky.

I contacted the nice people at Justridingalong and they too concurred with me.

Just shows you how wrong I can be.

Northwind

Eskar isn’t a good equivalent to a supertacky, it’s a relatively hard compound and really feels it. Still a very good tyre but gives up on wet rocks etc earlier than a maxxpro never mind an ST.

Oh- Specialized tyre sizing is more or less accurate, so the 2.3 Butcher will most likely be the size of a 2.5 Highroller.

juan
    Free Member

Jamon my lbs will be able to sell and ship some to you.
    However due to recent problem you might have to wire the money rather than use your card. Give them a shout, their website in linked to my name (it is indeed in French).

jambon
    Free Member

Well cheers for that, Juan.

And crikey flip about the Spesh sizing. A MASSIVE tyre at about 750g. I don’t know if that’s a good or a bad thing. (!?)

juan
    Free Member

I have seen how spesh tyres survives around here. I would say it’s bad!!!!!

jambon
    Free Member

Yeah. I am a massive fan of Maxxis. The main reason is that you can ride them to death, they just go on forever. Even with the increased prices in the past few years they are still excellent value. I have, though, had the problem with LUST tyres de-laminating and blistering fairly early in their life which has put me off them.

juan
    Free Member

IIRC it is due to the sealant inside. You can’t put any sealant you want.

steve73
    Free Member

i have just fitted a conti Baron black chili it weighs 770 grams and after using it for a 30 mile night ride last night i was surprised just how grippy this thing was. I was grinning all evening.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Highroller 2.35 UST Super Tacky Equivalent???’ is closed to new replies.