Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Maxxis High Rollers differences
  • iFlash76
    Free Member

Hi everyone,

I am looking to get some 2.35 60a Maxxpro High Rollers but what are the differences between dual ply, single ply, Kevlar bead and wire bead?

Thanks in advance.

jhw
    Free Member

in my understanding dual ply are more puncture resistant than single ply but significantly heavier. I understand wire bead are harder to put on, but I think…have tougher sidewalls/dig better? I think kevlar bead are folding tyres (?), so they’re easier to put on, but they’re floppier and maybe less puncture resistant

You can probably tell I am not the world’s biggest tyre expert

If I had your choice I would go single ply, kevlar bead, for UK riding, or dual ply, wire bead for heavier riding but note wire bead are a bitch to put on so no punctures!

santacrews
    Free Member

I will try and answer to the best of my limited knowledge !

60a is the compound = Hard
    42a ST = Super Tacky or Reazy if u live over thye pond,

Dual ply will give you thicker sidewalls and about 400g per tyre weight disadvantage, it will also give you loads of pinch flat protection over the single ply lighter weight TPI Threads Per Inch single ply sidewall tyre,
    Kevlar = added material in the single ply tyre trying to make up for the pinch flat problem and in my experience this does not work.
    wire bead goes on the dual ply = they dont fold down to go in ur underpants ? old school tyres ! i,m still running old fashioned innertubes ! What next ?

Heres what i run,
    MAXXIS Minion DHF 42a Super Tacky dual compound = so i get the grip in the corners on rocks etc, because i,m riding over rocks i have gone for dual ply sidewalls and not had a puncture for about 10 months the soft compound tyre doesent wear on the front like it does on the rear and over inspires confidence.
    MAXXIS Minion DHR 60a again dual ply for resistance to pinch however rolling resistance is greater and they drag a tad but i,ve got the legs and lungs to carry it off ! harder compound on rear as the softs get shredded at wharncliffe on the back !

Hope that helps sorry for the essay

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Kevlar = added material in the single ply tyre trying to make up for the pinch flat problem and in my experience this does not work.

Thats not the case. A tyres bead is either steel or kevlar. Both are to keep the edge of the tyre from stretching where it mounts on the rim, so that it doesn’t go too baggy and roll off the rim. Kevlar is lighter and more expensive. Its nothing to do with puncture resistance.

Single and double ply tyres can have either type of bead, depending upon the price point or weight they’re aiming at.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ooops, scienceofficer beat me to it.

I’ve just had a pair of single ply wire bead High Rollers delivered from UK Bike Store, 1 x super tacky and 1 x 60a. Don’t feel too heavy and look narrower than the single ply Intense 2.35 Edge tyres they’re replacing. Oh, and the side walls feel pretty meaty despite being SP. I’ll report back once I’ve fitted them later.

flyingmonkeycorps

Dual / Single ply refers to the thickness of the sidewalls, dual ply are considerably heavier and more resistant to pinch flats. I run duals when I don’t have to pedal up or on the back of my HT when I’m doing rocky Peak stuff. Will make very little (if any) difference to thorn punctures and such.

Kevlar bead = folding, wire bead = normal. Wire is heavier and supposedly harder to get on / off (I say supposedly ‘cos I think all my tyres are wire).

**edit** D’oh! Too slow.

nickc

dual ply: heavier, more robust sidewall, better for pinch flats and you can still run them at low pressure. use if you’re doing predominately DH or you’re a biffer

single ply much lighter, not so much protection, need higher pressure, use if you do mostly XC.

Kevlar/wire refers to the beading Kev is lighter, and less prone to stretch, and you can fold the tyre, wire is cheaper and heavier.

the lower the rubber durometer number the softer the tread is, 42 is softer (ie more grippy) but at the expense of lifetime and drag. 60 will conversely last a bit longer but might be a bit sketchier.

santacrews
    Free Member

😳

I did say LIMITED Knowledge 😕

santacrews
    Free Member

I got the other bits right tho :mrgreen:

trickydisco
    Free Member

60a is the compound = Hard
    42a ST = Super Tacky or Reazy if u live over thye pond,

I thought Slow Reezay was 40a compound?

Super Tacky- compound (42a) to address the wet, muddy courses.

Slow Reezay- compound (40a) which allow’s the tire to rebound much slower than a conventional tire, offering maximum grip and is the softest compound available.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

my 2p on Dual Vs Single ply.

I was told: Dual ply is essential for riding in Spain as SP will have pinch flats, sidewall cuts and need to run at higher pressure.
    I ran a pair of SP tubeless at 40psi (is that high pressure?) & had 1 flat in 5days (a thin piece of rock cut the centre of the tire & I it fixed with sticky string).

I usually run the same tyres in the peak at 35psi & have never had a flat there. I am not a (very) fat biffa at 13stone.

HTH

jhw
    Free Member

so on the whole…my first post is accurate!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I ran dual ply high rollers in Spain at what the highly inactuate pump said was 30psi (felt quite soft), one of the few people not to pinch flat that week (including the tubeless guy).

UK : single ply kevlar 2.35 high rollers

Real mountains : dual ply supertacky (you cant get the DH tyres in kevlar bead)

The supertacky rear was a bad decision in hindsight, it makes climbing feel like riding through syrup. But on the decents you can pretty much throw them into a corner at any speed and they will stick like glue, and the dual ply meant you could ride just about anything without puncturing, my rear rim took a battering and I pulled a drawing pin out without getting a flat, even with size too small XC tubes!

iFlash76
    Free Member

Thanks for helps guys.

I think I’ll go with the single ply and if cash will allow the folding Kevlar type.

Thanks again.

chrisdb
    Free Member

you save quite a bit of weight with a folding bead. worth the extra £8 imo

mamadirt
    Free Member

I’ve just had a pair of single ply wire bead High Rollers delivered from UK Bike Store, 1 x super tacky and 1 x 60a. Don’t feel too heavy and look narrower than the single ply Intense 2.35 Edge tyres they’re replacing. Oh, and the side walls feel pretty meaty despite being SP. I’ll report back once I’ve fitted them later.

Quick update as promised. Dead easy to fit – way more so than my previous Kevlar beaded tyres, and they look more like a 2.1 than a 2.35. No more draggy on the road than the Intense Edge dual compounds they replaced but you can feel that super-tacky at the front drag when out of the saddle and over the front of the bike climbing (not something I plan on doing too much of 😉 but I have to ride to the trails). Fantastic on the d/h, plenty of grip in the mud, rocks and roots (although I know trails are drying out a little again). . . bring on the rain!!! I love ’em 🙂 .

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis High Rollers differences’ is closed to new replies.