• This topic has 32 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by rhys.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Maxxis High Rollers
  • oldfart

Just put a pair on today.Them buggers go like shit off a shovel!!!Thanks for the recommendation one and all.

MrNutt
    Free Member

heh heh, grip like hell if you’re happy to lay it down more into the corners too!!

ibis
    Free Member

yep they are good!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    I_Ache
    Free Member

I finally got a pair on my bike a couple of months ago and you can actually hear them gripping and trying to hold onto the dirt when pinning it round corners.

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve been running a 60a compound on the front for months & its showing no sign of wear, whats the 42a like for wear?

james
    Free Member

“Them buggers go like **** off a shovel”

Which high rollers are these then? 2.1″ High Roller XCs? or 2.35″/2.5″ High Roller FR/DH (the tread is different, XC ones have lower side lugs, and less middle lugs – though still very grippy)
    Oh, and what compound are they? 70a? 62a? 60a? 42a?

Just curious as my 2.5″ single ply (880g) 60As are the slowest tyres I’ve ridden. Slill find them slow at 40psi. Horrendously grippy though. My only tyre that doesn’t lock up at all on flights of stairs. Bought for an alps trip that ended up raining all week, and they were still really good. Can’t complain really

oldfart

james got the 2.1s in 62a flavour.(i’m comparing to non folding cinder 2.2s that felt like i was towing someone behind me!!H/Rs are £44 a pair on wiggle.

richc
    Free Member

42a wear very fast, and are draggy as hell. However they are very grippy, horses for courses really. They are a DH tyre so unsurprisingly they are very good downhill, and pretty poor uphill.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Does anyone know how they compare to Advantages (which I’m running at the moment) ?

richc
    Free Member

Depends on the size, I ran 2.4 Advantage FR’s and they were utter utter shite (OK at trail centers, but then again what isn’t) and broke away badly when leaning over.

HR are a million miles better for most riding. However if you only ride trail centers you mighten need their grip so you could find them draggy

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Cheers Richc – I ride natural stuff in the north lakes and have been using the 2.1 Advantages. I agree…I’ve had my front go a couple of times when leaning over. I might give the High Rollers a go.

richc
    Free Member

Sounds like HR’s would be spot on then, just avoid the 70a ones like the plague.

I am running a 60a on the back and the 42a on the front and accept that I am going to be slow on the uphills. When you get to the top you can pretty much pick anyline you want as they stick to the ground like shit to a blanket.

theotherjonv

I love mine. Another tip – if it gets a bit loose run the rear the wrong way round – then you get the flat edges rather than the ramped edges biting into the muck. A bit more draggy of course, but you can get use out of them in wetter conditions too rather than going straight to a mud tyre.

scruff
    Free Member

Ive taken my 42a UST HRs off as the were too draggy and I’ll save them for the summer*.

* in the Alps with lifts n’that.

solamanda
    Free Member

I use all varietys. The single ply 2.35 60a’s work extremely well with ghetto tubeless or UST with sealant.

grumm
    Free Member

I have 2.35s front and back – sticky at the front and 60a at the back. The back one has worn very quickly and they are pretty draggy, but they give ridiculous amounts of grip – for wet rock in the lakes they are fantastic.

richc
    Free Member

They are bloody skinny tho, Anyone know if the 2.5’s come up like a 2.5″, as I’ve only used 2.35 and they are more like 2.1’s.

james
    Free Member

2.5″ HR is pretty much the same volume to a 2.25″ Advantage, similar to a 2.3″ Specialized Enduro, Kenda Nevegal 2.35″ … Bigger than 2.4″ Mountain Kings. I’ve not ridden/compared much else that big.
    I agree the 2.35″ HR is tiny. Not a lot more volume than the already small 2.1″ HR XC

theotherjonv

what does the size of a tyre refer to – bead to bead or something?

In which case i can see a wider ‘lower’ profile as being different to a narrower high profile for the same size. But why is there seemingly such a diversion. I’ve had very skinny Panaracer Trailrakers at 2.1 and mahhoosive Spesh’s at 2.0?

glenh
    Free Member

It’s just because the inch sizings are only approximate and manufacturers make them up.

If you want to know how big a tyre really is, have a look for the size markings on the side wall (eg. 54-559). These are mm size and the 559 refers to the rim diameter, the other number is the width of the tyre carcass.

glenh
    Free Member

For example, a maxxis minion 2.5 is a 55-559 and an advantage 2.25 is a 54-559.
    ie. the minion is only 1mm bigger.

nasher
    Free Member

I love the high roller.

Not the best for tarmac as they can drag.

I use both 2.35 and 2.5 in bothe 42a and 60a.

The 60 is good for dry rocky conditions, but if its a bit wet i go for the 42a…but on the front only.

Paceman
    Free Member

Anyone use High Rollers with Stans No Tubes or similar? Do you need to use the LUST version or will the lighter XC ones work ok?

glenh
    Free Member

I use aDvantage and Ardent (standard versions) tubeless.

Can be a bit of a pain to inflate initially, but otherwise no problems.

solamanda
    Free Member

Anyone use High Rollers with Stans No Tubes or similar? Do you need to use the LUST version or will the lighter XC ones work ok?

I’ve used the standard single ply highrollers with stans with no issues. I also use the non-ust dual plys as tubeless using ghetto and UST rims.

richc
    Free Member

same as solamanda, although the non-ust one with stans on a 519 was a mother **** to inflate.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have the 2.35 single ply DH 42a versions and have successfully ghettoed them on 2 rims. With stans FWIW.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m after the lighter folding 2.35 High Rollers rather than heavy DH ones, are the the 60a Maxxpro versions the ones I need?

Vortexracing

I run 42a front, 60a rear, both 2.35.

on 5.1 with DT rimstrips and stans milk. both are single ply and they are great. The front is really confidence inspiring. but then it is very sticky

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

are the 2.35’s realy that small? I’m comparing against 2.1 panaracer fires, 2.3 conti gravity’s, 2.1 high rollers (which are tiny), and spesh 2.2’s. The HR’s are huge in comparison to th at lot!

2.35 SPC kevlar HR up front

2.4 holly roller out back in the dry, same as front in the mixed

2.1 swampthings in the wet.

Vortexracing

We nearly the same taste in rubber thisisnotaspoon

HR front & back 2.35

Advantage Front and Crossmark Rear- when dry 2.25

Swampthings front and back when wet 2.35

all singleply and tubeless with stans.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m after the lighter folding 2.35 High Rollers rather than heavy DH ones, are the the 60a Maxxpro versions the ones I need?

rhys
    Free Member

Why don’t I trust my HR on the front? As I look down I just think that it will be fine until I lean over slightly?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis High Rollers’ is closed to new replies.