• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Maxxis, High roller or Minion on the front?
  • spock
    Free Member

Now the weathers getting a bit slippy im looking for a new front tyre to accompany my 2.2 conti mountain king on the back, so whats best for this time of the year? Minion of high roller? and at which width(no higher than 2.35 as i only really do cross country riding)?
    thanks.

GW
    Free Member

well use a **** XC tyre then.

colin@rush
    Free Member

High roller is perfect in anything thats not to muddy, 2.35" super tacky make sure its a single ply 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gamo
    Free Member

Either are going to be draggy compared to a proper xc tyre(especially
    the 42a stickies) but both are good tyres!2.2 rubber queen might suit.

slowrider
    Free Member

high roller is a bit better in the mud IMO, as long as its not just runny gloopy then a high roller will find something to cling on to.

MrNutt
    Free Member

HR's front and back

paulosoxo
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member

HR's front and back

agreed

benjag
    Free Member

minion front, HR/Advantage at the back, all year round.

Andy-W
    Free Member

Are single ply high rollers and minions still good to stop pinch flats ?

I have dual ply on at the moment and my bike feels like its made of lead .

GW
    Free Member

Are single ply high rollers and minions still good to stop pinch flats ?

No, not really.. appropriate pressure in them is.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Dual Ply will naturally always resist pinch flatting more than a single ply; I guess you question Andy is really whether you can get away with running single ply. The answer to that depends on where you ride, how you ride and what, if any, inner tube you're using.

To illustrate, I weigh 105kg, ride fast, aggressive and with little finesse; on Welsh trail centre tracks, the peak and lake district, I can't get away with a single ply rear if I'm using an inner tube; it has to be dual ply.

Around the north downs – loamy, rooty, sandy trails, single plys are fine.

Of course, tubeless is best of all worlds – lighter and with less chance of flatting, though not impossible.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

i run a high roller 2.5 on the front and a minion 2.5r on the back. they drag like hell on packed stuff but they sure grip when you need it. i have never had luck with the mountain kings. id go for the high roller single ply 2.35 front and rear. wont drag as much as the 2.5 but you will have heaps more grip than the mountain king. its a suck it and see though. maxxis do make a good tyre and there are some deals to be had on them too.

good luck

slowrider
    Free Member

FWIW i had some trouble with pinch flatting single ply maxxis even when run tubeless. not stupidly low pressure or anything, just hitting rocks and the like harder than they could stand. i tried running a dual ply rear and it solved the problem but just dragged too much to be any fun on anything but the downs really. im now runnning a LUST ignitor 2.35 FR which is actually pretty good. not one single pinch flat and i was getting them every single ride in the peaks on single ply. its about 50-80g heavier than a single ply but close to a pound lighter than a dual ply ansd seems to have the extra thickness in the right place, for me at least. for snowdon etc. ill still fit a dual ply because a ride like that is all about the downhill and i always flat there if i dont run dual plys, but for tanking down jacobs ladder and the like the LUST is more than adequate. the ignitor tread pattern looks like it is meant to be fast rolling though its not really any faster than a high roller but its not any less grippy either. its a lot grippier than it looks! ive used it quite a bit in mud and im happy on it. all tyres slide in the gloop but its one of those that you can feel going rather than it just letting go, giving you time to do something about it or go with it rahter than ending up on your arse wondering what happened.

jedi

short and sweet gw 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis, High roller or Minion on the front?’ is closed to new replies.