Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • MAXXIS High Roller on road ?
  • james0706
    Free Member

Hi, i currently have MAXXIS Hookworms tyres and need more grip for off-road/DH so i thought about some MAXXIS High Rollers 26×2.35 60A compond. but i ride on paths, roads etc and was wondering how they would be, if they would wear down quick ??

llama

Ok if you are not in a hurry and 60a last a while

james0706
    Free Member

oh, thanks. i didnt want to buy tyres and find they would wear down quick when not off-road.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve been using them on my hardtail for a while now. They came with the bike and I considered changing them, but because a local ride for me entails a mixture of rooty trails, gravel bridleways, short road sections, steps, drop-offs, etc I decided to keep them for a while.

They work okay on the harder surfaces, and barely show sign of wear after a couple of months. However, I am sure there are better tyres for the task. They can be hard work on the road, but that’ll just get you fitter.

goldfish24

I used that exact tyre on road, 60 mile/week commute and wear wasnt too bad. Back tyre looked fairly worn after 6 mths. They are SLOW on Tarmac though, definitely an off road tyre. You might be better with more of a compromise if road is still important, I think the advantage is better for this, though I now use Schwalbe rocket rons.

Coyote
    Free Member

Crossmarks are a good compromise.

_tom_
    Free Member

Maxxis do a slick high roller that has a slick centre line but still the edge knobs for cornering grip. Wonder how well they actually work.

Joe

rocket rons!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I run the SemiSlick version sometimes, seems grippy enough, would only run it on the back though!

colournoise

I run the High Roller semislicks on my old Trailstar (now mostly resigned to local pootling about with my wife and a mixed tarmac/easy offroad commute) – quick on the blacktop and decent enough on the dirt as long as you are confident enough to crank them over in the corners so that the knobblies bite.

slainte 😀 rob

t-p26
    Free Member

Worn High Rollers are very draggy. Try a Larsen if the off road is dry

mamadirt
    Free Member

Been running a 60a rear and super tacky front since last autumn – used on the commute every day and back and forth from the trails – both looking pretty worn now but plenty of grip for the summer. As far as drag is concerned I guess I’ve just got used to it.

ampthill

I’d say quite draggy or about as draggy as you can get. Lots of other tyres migh be a better compromise…

On the other hand I think they ride well with the middle worn down a bit……

robsoctane
    Free Member

hi all, I run a High Roller 42a sticky for the front & boy it slows ya down on the paths. But – Ive got a semi slick High Roller on the back & boy it speeds you up on the paths…

All in this combo equals things out I feel. The semi is much better than I expected on the dirt too, it’s a keeper.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘MAXXIS High Roller on road ?’ is closed to new replies.