Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Maxxis High Roller 60a better on wet roots than Ardent 60a?
  • PhilAmon
    Free Member

As per the title, I use a pair of Ardents in the spring/summer and some bonty mud-x’s the rest of the time. The Ardents are great until it rains, then riding on wet roots becomes scary! As the weather is pretty unpredictable at the moment I’m thinking of replacing the front Ardent with something a bit more all weather, would a high roller be a worthwile change? both have the 60a durometer rating… will they be better on wet roots or the same?

Thanks.

Trimix
    Free Member

Well isnt the durometer rating the measure of stickyness, if so and they are the same size and pressure, I would have thought they would be so similar to be considered the same.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The tread pattern is going to make a big difference. Personally I would (and I have already done this) go with a High Roller up front and an Ardent at the back.

rocketman
    Free Member

Love both tyres but I feel a HR makes a better front on sketchy, rooty terrain.

An Ardent on the front is a not a bad choice but more suited to BC than the UK IMO

Might also like to try a 2.5 Minion up front if you’re looking for ultimate grip at the expense of speed. Not as big as you might think or maybe a 2.35 Minion it is a skinny Medusa carcass with a Minion-style tread but might be useful if you are thinking of riding in a lot of loose, loamy wet stuff

Trimix
    Free Member

I find pretty much nothing sticks me to wet roots, I only get over them by unweighting and momentum.

But I suppose tread pattern may help a bit.

chrisdb
    Free Member

go with a High Roller up front and an Ardent at the back

This.

Although Ardents really aren’t bad on roots so if you’re scared of them with an Ardent on the front don’t expect it all to be sunshine and love with a HR.

uplink
    Free Member

Similar to Trimix- nothing really fills you with any confidence but a HR on the front running at around 20-25 psi is as good as I’ve tried

mikey74
    Free Member

As above: Momentum, lofting wheels over, and no sharp changes in direction are your key to riding wet roots.

Love both tyres but I feel a HR makes a better front on sketchy, rooty terrain.

An Ardent on the front is a not a bad choice but more suited to BC than the UK IMO

Do you mean British Columbia? You do realise that BC is full of sketchy, rooty terrain?

Trimix
    Free Member

What we really need is a proper scientific tyre test.

There are too many variables to draw real conclusions on and too many subjective opinions

Id love to do a test properly.

Same pressure, same terrain, same bike, same rider, same technique, same fitness and so on. Then see what works and what doesnt.

It would take bloody ages to do properly though.

jimjam
    Free Member

It’s all in your head. Staying off the brakes and letting/expecting the bike to move will make the biggest difference over wet roots and rocks. The two tyres have very similar characteristics, if your technique is there the difference between them on roots will be negligible.

PJM1974 –

The tread pattern is going to make a big difference.

This is wrong. The tyre compound and pressure (assuming the same volume) will effect how it grips to wet roots much more than tread pattern.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I prefer adVantages to HRs but I’m crap at riding 🙁

PhilAmon
    Free Member

Thanks for the opinions guys. I can see where the thinking of ‘its all in your head’ comes from, especially when the tyres are made of the same kind of rubber… but i’m pretty sure the mud-x’s did slip around less on the roots than the ardents, maybe its down to the tread, maybe its softer rubber, or maybe the roots are just more slippery in the spring/summer when it rains after being dry for a while?…

jameso

jimjam’s right, pressure and compound is what matters most on wet rock and roots, if you’re not also comparing extremes of tread type ie spikes to flat, blocky treads for ex.

the tyre contacts the root so briefly before either rolling over or slipping that within reason, tread isn’t going to make much difference.

try a super tacky or black chilli tyre and you’ll notice far more grip than a 60a. or use 25psi up front instead of 35.

Fluff66
    Free Member

I use a 2.35 single ply DH HR up front and have done for a long time. It’s a good all round tyre. Confidence inspiring on rocks (wet or dry) and pretty good on roots. I use a 42a Supertacky rather than a 60 though as the grip is much better. Will feel draggy on tarmac and compared to a 60 HR generally

HR also more reasonably priced than some of the alternatives and fairly robust tyre. The supertacky lasts pretty well (surprisingly)

Forgot to say – I run it tubeless (kit tubeless) now, and that improves it even further

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis High Roller 60a better on wet roots than Ardent 60a?’ is closed to new replies.