Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Maxxis High Roller 2 alternative
  • flatjack
    Free Member

Have bought a new pair of the HR2 29er tyres but am quick worried how heavy they are, for a very light rider I think these will be a problem when climbing and outweighs the advantages downhill.

Could any suggest a better XC tyre for a light rider, circa 45kg, needs to be tubeless too.

XC racing, mud clearance would be very useful too.

Thanks

benpinnick

How heavy are the HR2s?

stevied
    Free Member

If you like Maxxis have a look at the ardent. About 150g lighter

wrightyson
    Free Member

45kg 😯
    You don’t belong on here with us fatties 😆

flatjack
    Free Member

Thanks and about 960g.

davewalsh
    Free Member

For xc racing a switch to either Maxxis igniters (not officially tubeless ready but work ok) or Schwalbe Nobby nics / racing Ralph’s in the liteskin versions will save you about 300g per tyre. Nics are the best in mud but most rolling resistance, then igniters then the Ralph’s.

benpinnick

You could shave a couple of hundred grams per tyre nearly with Bontrager XR4 Team Issues. There are lighter, but they are a great all rounder with some real bite to them. Also consider the new Forecaster for this time of year. Big volume muddish tyre. Like an Ardent on steriods.

jruk
    Free Member

Ardent race on the back and keep one of the HR2 on the front.

zero-cool
    Free Member

The HR2s will probably be fine. Sure they’ll be a bit heavier but you probably won’t notice it after a ride or two. I guess it depends if weight takes priority over grip, reliability and predictability. I’ve found NobbNics are a bit crap and delicate.

AlexSimon

Ardent rear makes a good combination with either a HR2 or Minion up front.
    I hadn’t heard of that Forekaster before though – that looks good! (pity it’s 29er only).

deadkenny
    Free Member

Wouldn’t say Ardent is an alternative to a HR2, but would tick the XC boxes. I think of it as a High Roller Lite. It’s similar ramps but shallower knobblies. Less grip, more roll.

Ardent Race I’ve not tried and gets a lot of recommendations but sounds like it’s a dry weather tyre really. I’ve been using the regular Ardent on the rear of my hard tail to keep up with night ride guys, but also has grip enough for odd bits of steep and technical, loam and even mud. The Race version I think might be better for hardpack or dry.

HR2 is very grippy but is quite draggy on relatively smooth stuff. Old HR rolls more and is lighter, but not so grippy.

I like the HR2 rear combined with Minion up front*, but that’s my combo for more down than up or flat. Good in all kinds of conditions. I wouldn’t use the HR2 on my fast xc rides. I’d be struggling a lot with it.

* Minion up front always for me anyway.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Minion DHF front, Minion SS rear for me. Not XC tyres by a long shot but grippy and fast rolling.
    HR2 in no way an out and out XC tyre, Ardent/ Ardent Race/ Icon/ Crossmark best for that discipline I think, especially in 29er size.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Have a look at Hutchinson Toro 29, they are 750g, fabulous grip and fast rolling, easy to use tubeless, and super cheap at Acycles at the moment

AlexSimon

Calamity – how are you liking the Minion SS? How’s the rolling versus grip? I have one, but was going to save it until Summer – am I doing it a disservice?

DeeW
    Free Member

Specialized Butcher (front) and Purgatory (back) are very good, grippy yet fast rolling. Come in different flavours of sidewall.

As it happens i have an almost as new set of 29er 2.3s in Control (the lighter) casing. A fair bit lighter than EXO Maxxis. Came in new bike but took them off as worried about pinch punctures in the Peaks. I’d happily swap for the High Rollers if they are EXO casing.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Love the Minion SS, had it on my BFe for a couple of weeks. Not great on local sloppy or muddy climbs but it’s starting to dry out and been much better. Three days in Wales (Afan and BPW) and has been spot on. More grip than it should have through the middle, sides great once you get it over.

OP is be looking at Specialized tyres at your weight if you’re not in really rocky area. Good weight size and grip.

flatjack
    Free Member

Thanks all for some great replies. Just to note I am not 45kg myself, offspring is!

Having checked the bike we have I am seeing one issue with the wider tyre options, the rear stays on the Scott don’t look to have a huge clearance and in heavy mud at the moment the Rons are picking up mud and then jamming the rear wheel.

So perhaps I am looking for a narrow 29 tyre that is a better soft condition tyre and keep the Rons for when it gets dryer.

iffoverload
    Free Member

Onza have some nice XC tyres. the 120TPI versions are usually the lightest

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Narrow, light 29er tyres for soft conditions? 2.0 Maxxis Beavers, 560g tubeless ready or 600g exo. Even the cheapo wire bead versions are only 620g with the same compound, I run them front and rear all winter. There’s also a 2.25 that only comes in exo flavour if you want a fatter one for the front.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis High Roller 2 alternative’ is closed to new replies.