Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Maxxis High Roller 2 2.3 3C or 60a opinions?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Anybody tried the new tubeless ready Maxxis High Roller 2 2.3 3C or 60a?
    I’ve tried the 3C version on the front and found it verrrrry sketchy.
    Is the 60a version any different?

zelak999
    Free Member

Nobody tried these yet?

cubemeup
    Free Member

HR more of a rear tyre

Rik
    Free Member

You need to learn how to ride better!

3c is the race triple compound.

Think you need to try harder…….

beicmynydd
    Free Member

As Rik says, the 3c can be considered top of the range for grip, the 60a should in theory provide less grip.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s also a great front i the right conditions.

What/where are you trying to ride with it? from the Maxxis camp I prefer minions which even the cheap single ply 2.35’s popper up tubeless with very little hassle.

I haven’t bothered with anything stickier than 60a for trail riding for years, just got some ST’s for DH racing and thats about it. Never really come across major loss of grip due to the rubber. Sometimes the tread pattern is just wrong for what you are doing or your not using it right. HR’s needed a bit more commit over the edge to get them working right. Using the new HRII it is a bit closer to a minion so doesn’t quite need to be put down into the corners as hard.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and in addition the 3c isn’t just grippier, it’s a triple compound so provides harder/better rolling in the middle with softer compounds on the side knobs for cornering. If you don’t get onto these you won’t notice the sticky stuff.

discoduck
    Free Member

on the old HR’s i used to run 42a Super Tacky front and the less draggy 60a on the back, does this still work with the HR 2’s or am i better off going for 3C front and back ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

discoduck, how did you find your last setup? Running a standard HRII EXO on the back and it was fine for 4 days of hardpack, mud, rocks and as expected on very wet roots. the only time in about 150km’s I was bothered or concerned I wanted a set of wet screams.

discoduck
    Free Member

Mike, i have found them to be really grippy, the ST on the front stands up well in the corners, it diggs in well and inspires confidence, its been great this summer in the dry and has always been good in the wet & loamy conditions, i put one on the back but it dragged like Eddie Izzard so i swapped it for a 60a Maxpro which has worn right down now, it grips doesent slide, it peddles better and mixes up well with the ST front as there are times when you need to induce a bit of a slide and the ST doesent like sliding,

I’ve swapped them round between Minions over the past few years and havent really thought about new tyres until now,

i’m sorely tempted to go 3C in an attempt to benefit from the 3 layer construction which in my mind should work but reluctant to move away from the ST front & 60a rear ?

i think i could get thro a 3C rear in a short space of time so im talking myself in and out of it ?

mangatank
    Free Member

I’ve been surprised at how grippy the 2.1 LUST HRers are. They size up on the smaller size, but still perform well on steep stuff. Running 60a I think, though they seem very sure footed for a harder compound, and at 30psi. The 2.3s would be even better I reckon. As the name suggests, their quick rolling speed is noticeable.

Of the tyres I’ve tried over the last 4 years, these are, (right now), my favourites.

hora
    Free Member

You find them sketchy

And HR is more of a rear tyre

Eh?

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I’d go 42a front and 60a rear whether high rollers or minions.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve been running a pair of these (albeit in 27.5″) whilst waiting on the new Minion DHF 27.5″ EXO TR’s to show up & i’m surpised how grippy they are.

They arn’t far off a Minion DHF & thus far seem to roll surprisingly well too.

I wasn’t expecting to be amazingly impressed but i’m pleasantly surprised 🙂

Jeffus
    Free Member

I have one on the front OK so far 2.3 High Roller 2 Exo TR pumped up very easily on my Flow EX rims with yellow tape and dropped some stans in for good measure, Grip on the trail seems fine , mostly ridden them in the dry , just come back from a wet ride and they where fine, running a 3C Ikon TR 2.2 Exo out the back again ok so far , will probably swop it out for another High roller for the winter.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Have you looked at Specialized Butcher/ Purgatory as an alternative? Go up well tubeless, are a bit cheaper and (I think) lighter.

mulv1976
    Free Member

HR more of a rear tyre

Bolarks.

I’ve been running 2.35 60a compound HR on front and rear for years and they’re the best all round tyre I’ve had. Got a supertacky on the front now tho as a remnant from France and I’m keeping it on.

zelak999
    Free Member

I’ve been using HR 2.35 Lusts for a couple of years and love them for all year use.
    I did have a HR 2 2.4 on the front and this was also good just a bit big and heavy IMO.
    I tried out the 2.3 HR2 3C tyre and I reckon the shoulders are too soft and seem to fold too easily at about 28 psi.
    HR2 2.3 3C compound is 60a centre and 50a on the shoulders iirc.
    I have ridden the 27.5 HR2 standard compound and these didn’t have the same sketchy feeling.
    Anyone else actually tried the 3C HR2?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis High Roller 2 2.3 3C or 60a opinions?’ is closed to new replies.