Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Maxxis – help
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Looking for a fast rolling yet grippy, versatile tyre to replace the excellent but pricey 2.25" Nobby Nic at the front of my HT, but getting slightly confused by the array of Maxxis tyres on offer. I was wondering if anyone would be able to rank the following from highest grip/rolling resistance to lowest, or is it not that simple? All 2.25/2.35", 60A, single ply.

Minion DHF
    High Roller
    Ardent

The only other tyre I'm considering is a 2.2" Rubber Queens – where would they fit into that picture?

Cheers.

Whyte1
    Free Member

in the order you've put them in for the maxxis and going by other threads the RQ slotted below the Highrollers
    but most DH riders seem to use Highroller rather than Minions maybe due to rolling resistance ????

bloodyshins
    Free Member

The Maxxis Advantage it the best allrounder ive ever used, very grippy and rolls a lot quicker than it has any right to. Most of the guys i ride with have switched from their high rollers / minions to the advantage too.

undapressure
    Free Member

I found the high roller grippier and more predictable than a minion on the front. HR works well for an aggressive style of riding, you get loads of grip in the centre, then none, then loads on the edge. A lot of people seem to struggle with that transition. Minion has less transition than high roller but I found it less predictable.

Haven't tried an ardent.

sv

I have an Ardent rear HR front both 60a, rolls nicely. Good volume on the Ardent 2.25 using the new Maxxis measuring stick 😉

localhero94
    Free Member

I found the high roller grippier and more predictable than a minion on the front. HR works well for an aggressive style of riding, you get loads of grip in the centre, then none, then loads on the edge. A lot of people seem to struggle with that transition. Minion has less transition than high roller but I found it less predictable

I guess it shows how one person's style of riding suits 1 tyre and not the other. I hated the HR as a front tyre – for the same reasons you like it. I'm not an agressive, lean into corners type rider and found it wasn't grippy enough for me as I wasn't utilising the side knobs properly. Swapped to a Minion and found loads more grip and great predictablity for my riding style. Horses for courses….

ashfanman
    Free Member

I have an Ardent rear HR front both 60a, rolls nicely. Good volume on the Ardent 2.25 using the new Maxxis measuring stick

So have Maxxis sorted out their tyre measurements then? I've never owned a set before, but you always hear about how small they size up – is that still the case?

I'm leaning towards getting a 2.35" 60A HR or Minion DH F for the front and either a 2.25" 60A Ardent or Advantage on the back. Then again, part of me thinks I should just slap a Larssen or maybe even a 2.1" Small Block Eight on the back during the summer.

TheDoog
    Free Member

Just put 2.4 Advantages on mine, i found high rollers had too much resistance for uphills, and the advantages feel the same, i'm considering running the advatage up front with a continental mountain king 2.4 out back.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I measured a 2.5 HR, a 2.1 Crossmark, a 2.0 Larsen & a 2.35 HR this morning & they were all within a 1/20" of their stated size.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The 'new' series tyres (Ardent, ADvantage etc) measure up 'proper' or 'oversized like everyone else', while the old series (HR, minion, etc) size up like they used to, 'smaller' or 'correctly'.

IIRC

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis – help’ is closed to new replies.