• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by qtip.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Maxxis EXO TR casings, burp resistant?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Thought i was going to get my hands on a procore kit next week, delivery date has been pushed back a good 6 weeks, can see it happening again.

I want to go back to tubeless for the peace of mind of not getting a puncture.

I went back to tubes due to bupring. Tried a variety of tyres, lightweight casings through to continental UST (seemed very light and flimsy for true UST tyres though). End up at 32+psi and a tyre combo heavier than a lighter tyre and tube, ended up seeming pointless.

Do the maxxis exo tr casings have a bit of stiffness to them? Is it a “UST” style bead?

Who has been using them and getting sideways on them?

Will be hope tech enduro rims they’ll be mounted to.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Yes Maxxis TR run a UST type bead, its the bead and the fact they’re “sealed” that makes them TR ready, and yes, EXO protection does add some stiffness to the sidewalls. I usually run the non tubeless EXO casing mounted to Stans rims and have not had any problems with burping, although I suspect this is no guarantee that you won’t. Rim bead design is probably as important as tyre bead design when it comes to burping, I normally run 2.5 EXO Minions at around f25/r30 psi, I weigh around 100kg.

P.S Suspect non of the above will really help with your decision.

mtbel
    Free Member

no clincher is burp proof.. maybe if you glued the bead to the rim.

actually.. why are we not already doing this?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Tyres are only 50% of the burping factor. The other 50% is the rim bead profile. Are you blaming tyres alone for the effects of a poor combination?

tomhoward

I’m running them on 2 bikes, tubeless, never had an issue in a year of using them

chakaping
    Free Member

They do burp but only had it happen when I used them on my 180mm bike for some strava heroics.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Mavic 819 and Stand Arch rims never had a burp in 5 years I tend to use TR tyres and mainly maxxis.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Stans flows, various tapes, rim strips and tyres, didn’t find a result that didn’t burp.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I was running standard maxxis folding bead tyres on stans rims until I had one pull off the rim on off caber down hill drop resulting in broken ribs and torn tendon.
    I decided not to chance standard tyres tubeless again.
    Fitted a pair of the newer maxxi TR high roller 2 rear and minion 3c front and had no more problems. Riding fairly rough lakes stuff tyre pressure 30 / 35 psi so not particularly low but saves on dinged rims.
    Have them on my new bike 27.5 and no problems either.
    Fwiw I held the 2 types of tyre side by side ( standard folding and TR bead) the bead design is different on the tr and I can see how it’s designed to hook into tubeless rims such as stans etc.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I haven’t managed to burp one yet in any situation in a year. Certainly not bad going. That’s 28-30psi on a UST rim and pushed into corners as hard as I can.

qtip

No problems so far with 2.35″ Maxxis HR2 EXO on my Hope Tech wheels. Never had any problems with them on my Mavic XM819s either.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis EXO TR casings, burp resistant?’ is closed to new replies.