Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Maxxis Exo – is it like 1.5 ply?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Just got back from an uplift @ FoD where I managed to blow both my tyres off the rim. Minion DHF 2.35″ 60a Single ply front @ 30psi, ADvantage 2.25″ SP rear @ 32psi (both running tubeless).
    I’m looking into different options to stop this happening in the future so looking at the various options from Maxxis (I like them). I don’t really want the weight of dual ply or LUST so was wondering if the EXO casing acts like a 1.5 ply? They seem to fit in-between the single ply and dual ply weight wise.
    Thoughts?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes but if you take big hits it still isn’t a DH tyre.

I have an old set of tough wheels that have some DH tyres on these days to avoid faffing with tubeless.

stevede
    Free Member

Correct, i run them tubeless on stans flow ex’s, so far so good for similar sort of riding. I use a minion dhf st front and high roller 2 60a on the rear, good combo for most of the time imo.

rocketman
    Free Member

…wondering if the EXO casing acts like a 1.5 ply

Sort of. Maxxis folders have EXO casing and they’re still compliant. The EXO is more of a reinforcement on the sidewalls and it helps against rock scrapes that sort of thing but it’s not like the strength you get in a proppa dual-ply.

Northwind

I suppose the question here is why did your current tyres come off the rim? Did they flat first?

stevied
    Free Member

I suppose the question here is why did your current tyres come off the rim? Did they flat first?

Rear blew when I landed a jump slightly sideways.
    Front blew hitting an off-camber root at speed.
    Neither punctured..possibly just slightly too low pressure but think the extra wall protection may help reinforce the tyre @ lower pressure.

stevede
    Free Member

Always thought that the single ply Maxxis tyres worked well tubeless, what rims are you using? On the other hand i’d read conflicting stories on the exo range with regard to tubeless but decided to give it a go and touch wood no probs so far, run 26psi front and 28psi rear normally, 14st kitted up if that helps.

stevied
    Free Member

Had no probs before for ‘normal’ riding on Malvern Hills. Flow rims here/ Stans splooge etc. Went up very easily.
    Might just be a case of taking them out of their comfort zone and not being able to jump 😳

Brown
    Free Member

I assume these are Kevlar-beaded Maxxis? What rims are you running?

I’ve blown a few Maxxis tyres off the rim when running ghetto tubeless (inner tube, Mavic/WTC rims), so went back to steel beads as a) you can still get decent compounds, b) they’re cheaper and c) I don’t mind the weight.

Based on that, I’ve always felt it’s the bead that’s the problem – too loose and it seems to stretch. I’m not sure [caveat – I don’t ‘know’] that the EXO bead is any different.

That said, I’ve got a LUST on the back [same bead again?] and haven’t had any problems. That is with a Stan’s rim, mind, which seems to ‘lock’ the bead on more.

stevede
    Free Member

I gave mine a hard time at Gawton down here in the south west a few weeks back on my Stanton Slackline riding Super Tavi and Egypt (both blacks) as well as the tamer runs and regularly hit decent size jumps/drops etc on my local stuff and have raced dh on that set up albeit not on the hardtail (yet).

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I run a Minion 2.5 EXO tubeless on the front at 19psi with no problems and also do the same with a HR2 EXO. The EXO sidewalls don’t make the bead tighter, though, just prevent you ripping the sidewall. The most reliable Maxxis tyre for tubeless is the LUST and the weight difference between that and an EXO isn’t a lot. The wire beads also work better than folding, like on a normal folding tyre or EXO.

Standard Maxxis folding tyres are the only ones I’ve ever had a problem with when running tubeless so I avoid them now because I can’t afford to rip one off the rim in a race run.

stevied
    Free Member

The most reliable Maxxis tyre for tubeless is the LUST

There doesn’t seem to be much of a choice for the LUST tyres tho 🙁
    Looking to get an Ardent/Minion in 2.4/2.5 for the front and looking to try the DHR II rear when they are available..

oxnop
    Free Member

EXO are good (I run 2.5 Minion F EXO’s on front and back) but I split both on a recent Lakes trip.

When I got back I thought i’d replace them with some UST DH versions I had in the garage but as soon as I picked up a 2.5 DH UST Minion o realised why i’d gone to EXO!

Good for a weight saving but not bombproof

Northwind

Not sure the EXO will do exactly what you want, it’s tough but not that supportive. More cut resistant than heavyweight if you know what I mean.

stevede
    Free Member

Just to update this thread a bit, rode Gawton on the slackline again on Sunday and managed to burp the exo hr2 (on the rear) twice, then gave up and put a tube in. The minion dhf exo remains on the front but I gave up and put a tube in the hr2 on the rear and have now put a spesh clutch sx on that I had lying around as I know this works well tubeless.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Exo – is it like 1.5 ply?’ is closed to new replies.