Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Maxxis exo compared to dual ply
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Is there a lot of difference in protection from dual ply to exo protection with Maxxis tyres?

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes. Exo are good but will get holes in if you ride hard over rocks.

Look at the new double down carcass, or schwalbe supergravity tyres for a good compromise.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes, in protection and weight…
    I’ve been using EXO on rocky trails and they work fine for me. Depends on use also

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

Should have said, I’m happy with an exo tyre on the front.

Most of us find they get holed on the rear once up to Strava speeds though.

😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most of us find they get holed on the rear once up to Strava speeds though.

Will depend on what your riding thought…

zelak999
    Free Member

Im heading to Morzine in late June, it’s my first time but my mate who’s a regular is recommending dual ply tyres for added protection. Trouble is I won’t use them once back so I was hoping that exo would be enough protection.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well generally bugger all rock in Morzine so probably fine 😉

benpinnick

dual ply is twice as tough under the tread, about the same on the sidewalls though… except that most of the dual ply tires (DH and DD) have an extra butyl insert as well, which protects the sidewalls further, so they are roughly 2 times as tough on top, and about 1.5x as tough on the sides of most of the duals…. Of course you have a weight penalty for all that extra rubber n stuff.

nickdavies

I ride dual ply in the Alps and dh days normally but I switched back to exo for a week in finale ligure as there was quite a bit of pedalling – they didn’t put a foot wrong no punctures or problems and it was just as rocky and fast as the Alps.

If your driving buy a pair of dual plys from crc ride your regular tyres and put the dual ply on if the exos don’t cope. Return to crc when you’re back if you don’t use them. It’s a ball ache getting tyres out there.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was sure Exo tyres were fine on the rear until I went to Morzine in 2013, and put a hole in the rear chasing my mate down the GR5.

But if you ride light or stay slow enough to pick a line, they’ll probably be fine and dandy out there.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’d say dual ply for lift assisted riding, EXO if you’re pedaling up.

For a week in Morzine assuming you’re riding the bike parks, I’d buy a pair of dual plys and expect the rear to be worn out and ready for the bin when you get home.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis exo compared to dual ply’ is closed to new replies.