Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Maxxis DoubleDown and Fox Float X2 availability
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Anyone have any idea when these will be available?

Got the shock on order and the lbs promised me it by the weekend but they haven’t heard anything yet so unlikely to happen.

Just gone 650b so looking to get some supergravity or DD tyres as well for Mega

SirHC

Best contacting Mojo about shock availability (or get the shop to).

Extra haven’t listed the double down tyres on the website, so anyone’s guess if they will be importing them!

beagle
    Free Member

Just picked up a double down aggressor from next day tyres. Like the feel of the side wall. Not mounted yet.

zelak999
    Free Member

Had about 4 rides on the aggressor DD before taking it off.
    Its a great tyre for gravity but its pretty slow rolling maybe due to its weight.
    I will probably put it back on the rear for a trip to Morzine later next month.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Just seen the agressors on NDT, I’m after a Tomahawk or HRII for the rear as as mentioned above the Agressor seems a bit draggy

beagle
    Free Member

It’s staying on regardless of drag for the peak. Contemplating giving the centre tread a wee trim if it’s bonkers draggy. Ran a slaughter grid recently – even in the wet it was acceptable for usual dark peak and awesome in the dry.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Folks over on MTBR are saying the Aggressor is less draggy than a HR2, but will find out for myself when my 29er EXO version arrives next week, and the Tomahawk has a shorter lifespan than a fruit fly due to only offering it in the softer 3C compound.

chakaping
    Free Member

Rock Razor Supergravity rear for the Mega, surely?

zelak999
    Free Member

@Yetiman I bought the aggressor based on that review but there is no way the HR2 is slower than the DD aggressor.
    Maybe it was the non DD aggressor they reviewed!
    The DD aggressor is solid and it does have awesome grip, just a tad slow for climbing.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

What’s the verdict? Are these DD tyres the silver bullet we have all (well some of us) been waiting for i.e. a bit closer to dual ply rock smashers but a bit lighter (downhill lights if you will) or is the difference between them and bog standard 60 TPI single plys/Exo (there stablemates) negligible?

zelak999
    Free Member

I would say the DD is an excellent compromise between exo and full on dual ply tyres at a 2-300g weight saving.
    They feel a lot thicker on the sidewalls than an exo tyre.
    I hope they bring out a DD HR2 soon!

benpinnick

DD is an excellent (but not new – Onza FRC, WTB Tough etc. use basically the same thing) and yes its the ‘silver bullet’ for alot of smashers. I would say though the Aggressor comes up a bit narrow, which kind of limits its usability at low pressures as even with the reinforced sidewalls you can still easily smash the rim up. Also it sucks horrifically in the mud. It is a great trail centre tyre though, relatively fast, and grippy on trail centre type surfaces.

We’ve ordered a load of HR2, DHF and Shorty DD tyres for complete builds, but I don’t know if Extra will be bringing any of those into the UK. If you’re looking for an option for now try the Onza Ibex FRC maybe, which is a kind of DHF/HR2 hybrid with the same casing.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ benpinnick – I know they are not new, just new to Maxxis.

So DD’s deliver then, just the Aggressor tread pattern isn’t for everybody! Sounds as though I would be better off waiting for DD’s to be applied to Maxxis’s established tread patterns.

I like Onza Ibexs, decent all-rounders similar to High Rollers IME.

beagle
    Free Member

The onzas are nowhere near as beefed up as DD. That’s having riden both FRC and FRC 120 variants. The new EDC should be akin to Maxxis’ DD, no?

poah
    Free Member

X2 should be here in the next couple of weeks

pbooker1995
    Free Member

X2 with the climb switch due early June according to the fine folk at Mojo

chrishc777
    Free Member

Mojo have said end of month earliest, so the shop told me they’d get me one by the weekend so I’d order one it seems.. If that’s the case I’ll not be chuffed, going to Wales on Wednesday

jamesoz

chakaping – Member
    Rock Razor Supergravity rear for the Mega, surely?

Not sure it’d be much fun on the steep clay bit in the woods that always seems to be wet, however I’m tempted myself.
    Had a magic Mary vertstar on the back last year (lack of choice) was draggy but great when forced to go slower through steep bits than I’d normally want to.

ebennett

Mojo have said end of month earliest, so the shop told me they’d get me one by the weekend so I’d order one it seems.. If that’s the case I’ll not be chuffed, going to Wales on Wednesday

I’ve also ordered one from JTech, they said they were due end of the month but it would probably be a few weeks after that they’d have free stock. Also have a trip in June, fingers crossed but not really expecting it to arrive in time!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Rock Razor at mega I’m not sure about, the steep bits covered in 6″ of dust have me a bit worried

Regarding the shock I bought a new frame and was going to go with a double barrel which could have came with it, enquired about the X2 and they assured me I’d have one this week. If I don’t I’ll not have a bike to go to Wales on.

Of all the bits I ordered for my build the only component not to be here is one of the 2 ordered from the shop. Grrr

chakaping
    Free Member

Going off topic here I know, but if driving I’d take a choice of tyres so I could see what the conditions were like that week.

When I did it I expected to be racing on Maxxis Exo tyres but ended up with 2-ply DH tyres and DH tubes as it was so spiky up on the mountain bit.

Hoepfully a SG/DD carcass would be man enough.

singlespeedstu

Just had a tracking number come through for the climb switch X2 I ordered a while back. 😀

Shandy
    Free Member

The Aggressors have a good balance of grip and rolling resistance for the weight. I really liked them in the dry. In mud the closer, smaller tread blocks tend to clog up more than the other Maxxis tread patterns.

The DoubleDown is a lot stronger casing than the EXO, I am hoping to get hold of a Shorty and a DHR2 in Doubledown before the Alps this year.

poah
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

Just had a tracking number come through for the climb switch X2 I ordered a while back

who from?

singlespeedstu

Freeborn Bikes.
    Looking on the Mojo site though they’re only showing 200-50’s as in stock, which is what i’ve ordered.

poah
    Free Member

you sure its with the X2 lever?

pbooker1995
    Free Member

In Stock from todayy!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yep stopped by to pick some Pro 4s up today and was told it had been dispatched. Possibly have it tomorrow, if not Monday.

singlespeedstu

you sure its with the X2 lever?

That’s what I ordered.

poah
    Free Member

still trying to choose the X2 over a CCDB coil.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Got mine yesterday. Feels very plush, even though I haven’t got it set up well yet. The X2 lever is very much more an old fashioned lockout than a CC style traction control climb switch. It firms the rear up completely eliminating bob but doesn’t do much for climbing grip and traction.

philstone

I’m on the fence between a CCDBA and an X2 – it won’t be my daily shock, so less concerned about the lockout.. I just don’t think the performance will justify the £100 price difference..

chakaping
    Free Member

Got mine yesterday. Feels very plush, even though I haven’t got it set up well yet. The X2 lever is very much more an old fashioned lockout than a CC style traction control climb switch. It firms the rear up completely eliminating bob but doesn’t do much for climbing grip and traction.

Good info cheers, is it on/off or can you move the lever a little bit to firm it up a touch?

singlespeedstu

Arrived yesterday.
    I’ll be fitting it and trying it out a bit later today.
    looks like there are new style volume spacer rings that you can fit without removing the shock.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GxBNdu]IMG_20160524_153310432_HDR[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis DoubleDown and Fox Float X2 availability’ is closed to new replies.