Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Maxxis DHR ii 2.3 front HRii 2.3 rear
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Anybody using this tyre config, if so are they a good match?

Jeffus
    Free Member

HAve tried the DHF Minion front and HRII rear was ok, have HRII both ends now both good combos, another wheelset has HRII front Ardent rear good in the dry.

kudos100
    Free Member

No, but I’m guessing you’d probably be better off with DHR2 front and rear.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes in 29er form and I like it lots.

I wouldn’t want a DHR2 on the front personally, I think the HR2 offers slightly more knob penetration – so to speak – for soft conditions.

Northwind

It depends what you want it to do, tbh. DHR2 is knobbier, better in slop, but slower. HR2 I think is actually a bit grippier on the hard. But also wears pretty fast on the back and like the old hr can be a wee bit sidewaysey on braking. They both work pretty well and can cross over into each other’s turf but the DHR has the edge in slimy/scary stuff and the HR2 has the edge in more sensible stuff IMO.

Maybe I’m wrong but I think the DHR2 on the front thing is going to be a little bit of a thing of the past now, people mostly started doing it when there was a lack of good 650b and 29er enduroey mud tyres. These ideas have momentum (hence why people still use hans dampfs) but in wet stuff I’d always choose the shorty over the dhr2 and in drier I’d always choose the dhf, I’m not sure there’s a gap there.

Also, I think some people just liked the irony of going from dhf on the rear, to dhr2 on the front. That tickled me.

DeeW
    Free Member

I ran this setup this summer and loved it. Mostly because my Canyon came with a 3c maxterra DHR2 on the back and a harder compound HR2 on the front. I swapped them round. I did get geeky and cut the edges off the wide knobs on the DHR2. There’s info on the web: apparently works better on the front. Deeper tread on the minion makes more sense on the front to me.

stevied
    Free Member

Didn’t get on with the HR2 on the back as it lacked a bit of grip in the wet.
    For winter I’ll be running a Shorty/DHR2 combo.

bigblackshed

Minion of the front, Ardent on the back. Does for me come winter. I need to swap mine back on to the bike.

Been running Continental Trail King on the front, X King on the back for the summer, dry & dusty months, getting a bit slick now.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Shorty / DHR2 sounds like a perfect peaks winter combo, going to try that this year Also

zelak999
    Free Member

I’m currently running HR2 front and rear in 26 flavour.
    I was asking about the DHR2 and HR2 combo as I’m building up a 27.5 magic ride and just thinking about different tyre options. It’s always feels like a gamble changing tyres especially at £40 a pop! I usually stick an Ardent on the rear for Summer but it doesn’t provide any grip around these parts for Winter.
    I’m heading to BPW in a couple of weeks and thought the DHR2 maybe a better bet than the HR2 on the front especially in 3C.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis DHR ii 2.3 front HRii 2.3 rear’ is closed to new replies.