Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Maxxis Crossmark Vs Larsen Vs Ikon
  • mboy
    Free Member

On the rear of my full sus.

Have used a 2.25″ Crossmark extensively in the past, loved the cornering grip and the speed, didn’t like the sketchiness under braking on anything other than groomed hardpack.

Have tried a 2.2″ Ikon briefly on the back of a demo bike, was staggered how well it gripped everywhere for a sparsely threaded tyre, but they’re fragile or silly money when compared to Maxxis’ other tyres.

Not ridden a 2.35″ Larsen… What are they like by comparison? I’m thinking single ply wire bead 60a compound, matched with a 2.35″ Minion up front. They look like they should be a lot better than a Crossmark on loose terrain (not mud) as they have more pronounced biting edges, especially under braking.

Not concerned with grip in mud, if its muddy i’ll take the hardtail out instead. Full sus gets saved for nice days and fast rides.

longmover
    Free Member

I use Larsen TTs, they are good on loose gravels with hard pack underneath, they have a deep enough tread to cut through the gravels. They are grippy in the corners but not overly so, I have found that when they break out it is progressive and so lend themselves to quite a drifty riding style which is always fun.

mboy
    Free Member

How do you find the Larsen under braking? Nice and predictable, or do they let go readily?

scottfitz
    Free Member

2.35″ Larsen

100% on back great tyre. I am running Minion & larson combo at the moment.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Larsen over the Crossmark. I think it’s grippier, especially if you have it on the front for braking… I also like the extra volume and the shape of it just seems to make my Fuel Ex turn in so nicely…
    Never used an Ikon

andyrm
    Free Member

I swear by the Ikon as a rear tyre – loads of grip, fast rolling and when it does slide, does so in a nice predictable way.

I’ve been using the wire bead version tubeless for the last year or so – including on some really rocky places, never had any problems with strength/reliability.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve always liked Larsens.. then I tried Small Block 8s – they’re better (only 2.1 in UST though, unfortunately)

mboy
    Free Member

Andyrm, tell me more about the ikon… I am scared cos I’ve heard horror stories of how thin they are, and as I would like to run tubeless too (and the beefier Maxxis all work well tubeless) I am reticent to try it and end up with a slashed tyre out the back of beyond!

DezB, not keen on SB8’s. Great fast rollers, not enough bite though IMO.

sambob
    Free Member

I used an EXO Ikon on Monday for a 4 hour ride in the Peaks and it was awesome, but there was no mud so I can’t comment on how it’d be in the mud.

Northwind

Good comparison, Larson is like a toothier SB8. ****-all grip on anything offcamber though, and cloggy. You want a cheap one? I’m not digging it…

p7rich
    Free Member

I like Larsens. Off to ukbikepark tomorrow on a brand spanking new pair. 60a rear, Super Tacky up front. Gulp.

bigbloke
    Free Member

mboy….

I use Ikons (standard dual compound folding), love them BUT blimey do they puncture easily, were ok in winter but now its dry they are thorn magnets. Average nearly every ride now but i am loathed to not use them they handle really well.

Might try EXO version if my wallet allows, must be better protected surely?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Good comparison, Larson is like a toothier SB8. ****-all grip on anything offcamber though, and cloggy. You want a cheap one? I’m not digging it…

I will have it :D, what size is it?

passtherizla
    Free Member

I Ache off here loves his Larsen TT outback… I’ve been meaning to try this out back with a high roller on the front both in maxxpro at the back and super sticky at the front…

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Anyone else tried cutting the circular corner knobs on the crossmark?

I’ve been doing it for a couple years and I really notice an improvement in cornering grip, whilst retaining that nice fast centre ridge that makes the crossmark so fast. If your old crossmark isn’t completely beat to shit, it might be worth trying.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve been using a standard dual-compound 2.25 Maxxis Ikon Exc on the rear of ms FS for the last month or so and really like it. Fast-rolling yet still very grippy when pushed. It was also around £20 cheaper than the posh 3C Exo version. I’ve had one puncture but that was from a huge hawthorn that would have gone through any tyre.

Maxxis Aspens are also very good in my experience; again very quick but with way more grip than a tyre that light should have.

br
    Free Member

How do you find the Larsen under braking? Nice and predictable, or do they let go readily?

Yep. With about zero brake 🙂

Strong tyre and I use to use them in the Chilterns on my HT as I split too many of the more fragile tyres, plus I think the lack of grip meant they were more likely to slide than grip-and-tear.

Wouldn’t go wire, this one (I ran them tubeless):

http://www.nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/MAXXIS-LARSEN-TT-MTB-26/61/177

S_J
    Free Member

I’m running an ikon 2.2 up front with a 2.1 aspen on the rear on my full suss 29er, which I’m yet to use in anger, but have been thinking about changing both as I’m concerned how they’ll stand stand up to rockier trails both in terms of grip and durability. I tried a beaver on the back but they come ups way too narrow for me and are only available in 2.1. I was thinking about a 2.25 ardent up front with a 2.1 ignitor out back, but this might be overkill? Interested to hear how folks have got on with the ikon and aspen long term?

BadlyWiredDog

I used an EXO Ikon on Monday for a 4 hour ride in the Peaks and it was awesome, but there was no mud so I can’t comment on how it’d be in the mud.

Marginal would sum that one up… I’ve run one a bit on the back and it was okay and fast rolling, but even thought it’s ‘EXO’, it still feels a lot less substantial in the sidewall than an EXO Ardent 2.25 or a Minion DHF in same. Personally I’d run the Ardent every time in the Peak anyway, but a few years ago I’d have happily gone with an Ikon on the back.

I was thinking about a 2.25 ardent up front with a 2.1 ignitor out back, but this might be overkill? Interested to hear how folks have got on with the ikon and aspen long term?

I run an Ardent 2.4 on the front of a rigid, singlespeed 69er mutant thing btw, works well on rocky stuff. My lasting memory of the Aspen was that it was really fragile, around 10% faster than an Ardent but also about 50% less grippy on anything loose or soft, though it’d probably be better on a 29-inch wheel.

The Ardent / Ikon mix with 29″ wheels sounds like a winner to me. Your current set-up sounds sketchy as **** for rocky stuff tbh, but what do I know.

And writing this it occurs to me that I don’t have the faintest idea what I’m talking about cos it’s all relatively to your personal preferences, where you ride and how lethally skilled you are. I’m splendidly average on all counts.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Crossmark Vs Larsen Vs Ikon’ is closed to new replies.