Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Maxxis Crossmark tyres
  • matchstick
    Free Member

Yesterday I ordered a new mtb, 2011 Giant Anthem, I need your views and experiences on Maxxis Crossmark tyres, are these any good as all year’s tyres? I will be mainly riding XC trails, mostly at Quantocks and the Mendip’s, a few trips at Afan and Cwmcarn now and again, heard horror stories that they are lethal on wet roots and rocks, should I change for High Rollers or Advantage?

I have been using Panaracer Fire XC Pro on my old hardtail mtb and they perform well for me, will Crossmark will be the same as Panaracer?

Thanks

giantjason
    Free Member

i have only used a crossmark on the rear and it is not great at gripping on wet roots.

What size did you order – 2.1 or 2.25? i have found that there is a massive difference in the quality of ride between a 2.1 and 2.25 with the larger tyre being miles bettwe.

i will be trying an advantage next as these roll just as good but provide more grip.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Advantage front 2.25 and Crossmark rear 2.25 nice quick set up.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Rear only for me. The 2.1 has a light side wall that rips easily. The 2.25 is tougher. I defo prefer a bit more grip upfront.

rOcKeTdOg

29 version is great on the back, fast rolling and predictable cornering, surprisingly good in the gloop too (but not up to mud x standard)

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I run a 2.1 (lust version) on the back of my hardtail in the drier months. Sidewalls seem pretty chunky. I find it can cope with a bit of mud but when it’s really gloopy – like now – I prefer something more suited to the job.

STATO
    Free Member

matchstick.

The crossmark are very much a love/hate tyre. Those that love them will pretty much run them all year round, those that hate them claim they are rubbish on roots and rocks and not even good for summer use. Personally i love them, i used them for a trans-wales a few years ago, it rained the whole time and i never had a problem, so much for ‘dont work in the wet’ comments. Speckle is right that the 2.25 is thicker, but youve bought a XC race bike, why fit anchors for tyres?

vrapan
    Free Member

I have a 2.25 on the back you just have to make sure to put the right pressure otherwise the grip is not good at all. With the right amount of air it grips anywhere and rolls really well.

Northwind

They’re impressive considering how fast they are, I think most of their critics are expecting too much from them considering the construction personally. I was very impressed but still wouldn’t consider them an all round tyre, especially not on the front.

grazedknees
    Free Member

Rode them at the world solo champs as did all of team Natterbox. They were awesome on dry dusty rocky trails for 24 hours. No sidewall rips on sharp rocks, grippy, fast rolling, good cornering.
    At home , they are a bit slippy in the mud but most fast rolling tyres are….

matchstick
    Free Member

Thank you all for your replies, look like the front tyre have to be other than Crossmark for more grip in the wet.

Cheers all

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Crossmark tyres’ is closed to new replies.