Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Maxxis Combo – Ignitor(F) + Crossmark(R)…….
  • Alek
    Free Member

657g + 690g respectively………any better 2.1 L/UST combos on the market for my Soda before I buy.
    (Tried the NN+RR this year and wasn't that impressed)

Will be racing 10's, 12's + 24's over the next 12 months!!

Already have Maxxis Medusa.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I quite like the 2.1 crossmark I've got on the back of the hardtail. It's the non tubeless excepetion series version. Volume is decent for a 2.1 and it's very quick but offers a decent amount of grip too. Has been ok in a little mud as well. I couldn't comment on the ignitor as I've never used one but it looks a bit too much like a conti vert pro for my liking….

Alek
    Free Member

True……but have been told from a reliable source it works way better than a conti vert, which I did own in the 2.35 guise many years ago!!

other front maxxis recommendations in 2.1 are fairly slim pickings, especially to compliment rear.

Is it worth having a 2.25 on the front?

My NN+RR were both 2.25's and did quite like the large volume on a hardtail.

pinches
    Free Member

I'm running a 2.35 high roller on the front and a larsen on the back. I would have liked a 2.1 XC high roller but they don't exist in LUST.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I run a 2.1 exception series high roller on the bike I mentioned with the crossmark on the rear. It's noticeably smaller than the crossmark but nice and grippy. Weirdly I find it a bit more grippy and predicatable than a 2.35 one I have on the front of my full susser!

boxelder

Crossmarks are great until you reach wet rock.
    AdVantage a pretty big volume and fast rolling – what about one of those up front? Ignitors are good too though – better than crossmark up front.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Ek, I'm running 2.1 Crossmarks on the lighter wheelset for the 26ers (LUST) and on the 29er. Both setup tubeless with latex. Been really impressed. Like most Maxxis tyres I find them excellent on wet rock. I was the only one who rode the climb out of Glen Golly at the weekend (on a hardtail with Crossmarks on). The 29er is like a different bike.

Not so good on muddy peat, but hey …

Alek
    Free Member

Front and back Swayndo?

If so, I'm amazed that a crossmark is so good on the front. Still reckon a Crossmark rear and either an Ignitor 2.3 or ADvantage (but unfortunately not LUST!!) so Ignitor it is 😀

dobo
    Free Member

i'm using monorails, i like em, fast and fairly gripy, not too great in mud, also got some even lighter rendez that ive not actually used yet.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

I also run the Crossmark LUST front and rear and can honestly say it's the best combo i've ever used on my Anthem (and good value for money). I can't understand why people don't think the crossmark would be suitable on the front. I also bought the Ignitor but found the 2.1 comes out much narrower than the 2.1 Crossmark or Advantage so now just keep it as a spare tyre for multi dayers.

Spud

I usually run the same F&R, Crossmarks have been great for trail centre stuff round here (non rocky) and now have some Aspens to try out. First impressions very good, the 2.25 are huge, so running a 2.1 R and a 2.25 F.

Dougal
    Free Member

Using the eXCeption version of these tyres in exactly the combo in the title. Wet, dry, muddy, whatever. Rear only defeated by very grassy mud (but then, apart from spikes, what isn't?). Tubeless on one bike, tubed on the other.

Run a Crossmark on the front occasionally, but only on racecourses with very little reliance on front wheel traction.

Ignitor does appear smaller than the Crossmark, but this is due to the rounded profile versus the square profile of the Xmark.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Ek … sure it doesn't have the bite of a Minion, but it doesn't have the bulk either. I rattled down Fyrish earlier on them … the only skid happened when I turned 90 degrees at speed in Novar where they'd newly spread gravel on the path up to the estate office. Both wheels went together, but it was easily controlled.

I also have a pair of Larsens which are fabulous too. I've thought about Larsen F/Crossmark R, but have never got around to it.

2 DH racers I know have them on their (7 inch!) XC bikes and rave about them. I hear they are massive on the continent. I know Gordy wasn't so keen, but he tried the 2.25. I reckon the 2.1 has more bite that the bigger tyre. The same thing is apparently true of SB8s.

Try them … they don't look like they will work, but they do. Happy to give you a turn of mine. They're on light rims (5.1d) but the hubs are bolted.

Alek
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer bud.

Ordered some today so i'll let you know how they fair.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Combo – Ignitor(F) + Crossmark(R)…….’ is closed to new replies.