Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 172 total)
  • Maxxis Chronicle 29×3 – £110
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

😆

OK OK

Back on topic – exo or not 😀

SidewaysTim

Mammoth…

As far as Exo or not, the Exo ones have sidewall protection woven into the tyre and weigh 5g more. The non Exo tyres have a more supple sidewall. Nowt to chose between them really.

SidewaysTim

Tim – what are the Mammoths looking like? I’ve been waiting for a HuDu replacement…

How about some Dillingers? I’ve sent you a mail btw…

ska-49
    Free Member

Tim- how much are you charging for Chronicle posted?

SidewaysTim

£59 for the non Exo.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The Mammoth looks odd to me! We need the Dirt WIzzard already !!!

Paceman
    Free Member

Just fitted the new Maxxis Chronicle on the front of my Krampus, it has a squarer profile than the Knard it replaced, and is very slightly narrower at the widest nobbles (74mm). It’s the 60tpi version and weighed in at 1030g compared with 1018g for the worn 120tpi Knard I took off. It does look like it’ll offer better grip than the Knard, but I agree with FRC, I’m not sure it’ll be grippy enough on our local trails (chalk & loamy clay… not much grips!!). I think the Chronicle may make a good rear tyre for Winter with a Dirt Wizard up front when they finally come out.

Anyway, will report back when I’ve tested it out this weekend.

Chronicle & Knard compared, Surly Rabbit Hole rims at 15psi…

coastkid
    Free Member

Sizes stated it seems not much bigger on a Rabbit Hole than a 2.5 Minion!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pM4xCp]29 x 2.5 Minion`s 001[/url] by coastkid71, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/puBBgs]29 x 2.5 Minion`s 008[/url] by coastkid71, on Flickr

Paceman
    Free Member

That 2.5 Minion does look pretty big, not as much volume though. How many millimetres wide does it come up on the Rabbit Hole rims?

tazzymtb

Biggest n knarliest 29 rubber is still a 2.55 wtb dessent at 9 psi tubeless on a 42 mm dominator rim, from well before 29+ days like wot I had in my old jones 100mm spaced ti truss forks

if you could get one a 52mm hugo it would bloody massive amd eat all these new fangled limp and toothless 29 x 3 slicks

Paceman
    Free Member
    guitarhero
    Free Member

Want a Chronicle so bad for the front of my Stooge. I’ve got a pair of 50mm wide carbon rims on their way from Nextie too 🙂

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Maxxis Mammoth.
    Will get its first proper test on Dartmoor this weekend…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Minion 2.5 on RH rim

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks paceman, good post, and keep us posted 🙂

Clobber
    Free Member

Anyone tried a 2.35 Magic Mary on a Dually or Rabbit Hole rim?

Clobber
    Free Member

Nice post paceman, the DW’s don’t look like they will clog up but they do look like there will be a nasty transition when cranked over cornering!

Paceman
    Free Member

Ok I’ve now done two wet and muddy rides using the Maxxis Chronicle up front on my Krampus with a Surly Knard on the rear, both on 50mm Rabbit Hole rims with tubes. Around 11psi feels like the sweet spot for the Chronicle although it’s not as supple as the Knard it has replaced. Conditions were super slippery on loamy woodland singletrack intermixed with sections of wet clay and chalk, i.e. not a lot there for any tyre to grip on!

In summary, the Chronicle is a grippier tyre than the Knard in wet conditions, it allows you to lean the bike further and for longer before the inevitable slip-out. Off-camber trails were dealt with surprisingly well as were slippery mud downhill sections. However, if you ride very muddy conditions this tyre is not the definitive winter 29+ tyre we were hoping for, more of a competent all-rounder that manages ok and will perhaps make a good rear tyre paired up with something more nobbly up front. That said, it made for a really entertaining ride this morning, and in dry and intermediate conditions I suspect it will be a fantastic tyre so I’m not disappointed overall. Long live the Chronicle, a worthy addition to the 29+ tyre quiver 😀

mpw
    Free Member

Just come back from 22 miles first ride on a Chronicle. It’s on the front of my Diamond Jones with truss fork. I’m running 45mm Dually rims front and rear. I was running a 2.4 Chunky Monkey, front and rear.

It comes up 75mm wide on the Dually at 20psi.

Rides much better than the CM, loads more grip, was running about 20psi which is not ideal but I have a quite a few road sections in-between so didn’t want to keep dropping pressure then re-inflating. Even with the high pressure loads more grip in all kinds of trail conditions mud, water, rock, wet grass and hard pack.

It is absolutely massive on the bike, couldn’t see me changing from 29+ for any reason now. Eats the trail up.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

That Mammoth doesn’t look much more grippy than a Larry !!!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Haven’t mtb tyres (and rims) been far too narrow for far too long?

guitarhero
    Free Member

Any feedback on the sidewall cut resistance/toughness of the non-EXO Chronicle?
    I got sent a non-EXO by mistake instead of the EXO I had on back order.
    Can’t decide if I should send it back and wait for the EXOs to come back into stock.

cupra
    Free Member

Loving my Chronicles. Paceman has summed up my thoughts pretty well so I won’t repeat them. Anyone want to buy some 120tpi knards 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

guitarhero – Member

Any feedback on the sidewall cut resistance/toughness of the non-EXO Chronicle?
    I got sent a non-EXO by mistake instead of the EXO I had on back order.
    Can’t decide if I should send it back and wait for the EXOs to come back into stock.

Mine have been fine so far, only ridden loamy woodland and chalk downs though, nothing very extreme!

I’m struggling a bit to find the sweet spot with the tyre pressures on the Chronicles on my Rabbit Hole rims. 10psi front and 12psi rear was perfect for me at 75kg using the 120tpi Knards. I tried those pressures at the weekend with the Chronicles and it felt a bit squirmy, or maybe its their squarer shape, I can’t quite put my finger on it, but they feel different. I’d expected them to be less supple as they the 60tpi non EXO versions but maybe that’s the difference 😕

They’re definitely more grippy though 😀

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yours haven’t seen bad mud then?

Paceman
    Free Member

bonesetter – Member

Yours haven’t seen bad mud then?

LOL 😆 … I wish!! When I say they’ve ridden in loamy woodland singletrack and chalk downs that actually means desperately trying to dodge the trees on wet-soaked leaf-covered rooty and techy woodland singletrack (Stanmer Woods in Brighton) and trying to stay upright on the super slippery South Downs saturated chalk. You’ll be glad to hear they performed pretty well on both!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Oh, I see, thanks for the clarification 🙂

Well, that sounds like a very decent performer then (tyre & yourself 🙂 ). Might give one a wirl, but have recently bought a Minion

I think most of the country is wringing wet with water at the mo and anything (or anyone) will struggle

I’m using a Minion 2.5 on the front of my Stooge and it grips just fine, but is a tad draggy. Rolling and hit any king of slurry/leaf mulsh debris and you can feel the speed scrub

Having said all that, Stooge and me came home fairly mud light after today’s spin ’round

Paceman
    Free Member

Maxxis Chronicle users, what tyre pressures are you running?

mattjg
    Free Member

Having ridden a buddy’s bike with one of these on (back to back with mine without), I’m in.

Anyone know of a vendor with stock?

And is there a better (available) rim than the Dually?

frood
    Free Member

sideways cycles and travers have the 120tpi one. High on bikes have the 60tpi

mattjg
    Free Member

thx – which is better? (or more accurately, what’s the difference and does it matter?)

frood
    Free Member

I believe the 120tpi ones have the exo sidewalls which are a bit sturdier for going tubeless
    Maxxis Chronicle

bonesetter
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s stock anywhere until mid January

Have asked Sideways

Post if you find any, I’m after one

mattjg
    Free Member
    mattjg
    Free Member

Anyone run one of these on a Flow style rim (< 23mm internal)? Bad idea or OK?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Great, thanks Mat – just grabbed an exo 🙂

ska-49
    Free Member

Matt- Andy runs his Knard on a Flow rim and gets on well with that set-up.

mattjg
    Free Member

ta

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s on its way, I’ll give it a whizz on a Flow before dropping for wide rims. Cheez’ (ps that’s not his real name) has a dually so it’ll be a useful comparison.

Paceman
    Free Member

Maxxis Chronicle users, what tyre pressures are you running?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Chronicle 29×3 – £110’ is closed to new replies.