Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Maxxis Casing Question.
  • singlespeedstu

Which of the Maxxis casings is tougher out of the EXO and the LUST?

stevied
    Free Member

No experience of LUST but EXO seems plenty tough enough. Some info here: Maxxis Technology

singlespeedstu

I’ve used EXO plenty of times but never LUST.
    Wandering if it’s any tougher?

stevied
    Free Member

I think LUST is the older version of TR.

SimonR

LUST feels like it’s tougher – definitely heavier and stiffer. Always struggled with them though – very tight fit on the rims yet difficult to seat properly.

The EXO TR stuff (High Roller 2 and Beaver 2.2 at least) seems to be plenty tough enough and a cinch to set up. Never had an issue with split sidewalls despite plenty of rocky abuse.

jameso

^ agreed, LUST is a heavier casing but not by much, I always found them easy to set up on Stans and P35s though.

smatkins1
    Free Member

The LUST tyres has elements incorporated into it’s design to make it a UST tyre. It can be set up tubeless on a UST rim. Judging by the weight Maxxis should probably drop the L from LUST.

The EXO tyre has elements incorporated into it’s design to make the sidewalls more cut/tear resistant. If you’re after a ‘tougher casing’ then the EXO certainly sounds like the one to go for.

I’d only be buying the LUST ones if you specifically want a UST set up.

I’ve found the sidewalls of the cheaper Non-EXO tyres don’t last very long and tear quite easily. The sidewalls on the EXO ones in my experience last better.

deadkenny
    Free Member

LUST is more than TR. It’s a UST tyre designed for UST rims. Heavy casing to avoid any air leaks even if you have no sealant and the bead is designed for UST. Problem with UST is the tyres are heavy and you end up still needing sealant if you get punctures, so may as well go with TR.

TR is a more regular tyre with an improved bead for tubeless seating, and maybe slightly less pourous sidewalls, but may still need sealant to stay on.

EXO is a more durable sidewall for cuts and slices, and in the process makes it good for tubeless also, even the non TR version.

Oh, and then you’ve got dual ply used for DH tyres, which are tougher all round, but heavier.

Northwind

Isn’t LUST kind of like TLR, in that it doesn’t really tell you much about the tyre’s toughness, only that it’s Lightweight UST? Some seem lighter duty than others

BadlyWiredDog

EXO seems to vary depending on the tyre model. The Ardent and Minion EXO walls are pretty tough feeling, the ones on Beavers and Ikons are little slimmer and don’t feel as tough, though to be fair, I’ve not killed one yet and it may be that the protective layer is the same, just applied to a lighter sidewall in the first place. It’s really noticable with the 2.35 Ikon, which needs a little more pressure to keep it predictable as a result.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Casing Question.’ is closed to new replies.