Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Maxxis Beaver Opinions
  • Clong
    Free Member

Need to replace my rear tyre on the 29er, currently run a Bonty Mud X which has been great. Just looking at alternatives and saw teh beavers. Any opinions, good or bad? How do they compare to the Mud X?

alfabus
    Free Member

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

They are good but make sure and pump them hard

lucien

If that’s not a reason to purchase a said 29’er then I don’t know what is?

Look at the Beaver on my rear…and all that?

brant
    Free Member

Jones the Dirt likes them.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Got one on the rear and like it- comes up quite narrow but is very light. wouldnt be too keen if riding around lots of rocks though.

Has a rider weight limit on the side of the tyre- cant remember what it is off the top of my head but its around 90kg from memory

Clong
    Free Member

Weight limit? Bummer. Mud X it is then

robbieh
    Free Member

Was just about to get a pair of Beavers! how vital is the weight limit? i’m about 95kgs. will it make much noticeable difference or is it just to cover themselves against comebacks.

ratadog

Bought one of these on the basis of positive reviews and was also surprised to find it has the words “weight limit 90kg” moulded on the side. No mention of this on Maxxis website or on any of the shop websites or for that matter in any of the reviews.

Not so far been able to find out if this is rider weight, weight per tyre (don’t know how you would calculate that). Have emailed the shop I purchased it from and will let you know what I find out. Do know that I don’t fancy riding it much and that I have therefore apparently wasted quite a bit of money.

MrTall
    Free Member

This put me off when i bought mine for the rear a while back.

As above, there is no mention of the weight limit on any of the websites selling them, or on the Maxxis site.

I rang Next Day tyres after i noticed it and they hadn’t realised the weight limit either and to be fair to them they offered a full refund.

I weigh around 100kg before kitting up but thought i’d give it a go anyway and i’ve been very impressed. Very light and the grip is immense, better than the Mud X i run on different bikes.

HOWEVER, be it bad luck or due to the weight limit, i did slightly tear the sidewall on the 2nd ride but i have repaired it and used it a few times since with no issues. It is marketed as a wet weather Race tyre though which is why it’s so light so maybe it’s not supposed for full time trail use in the UK winters?

I’d risk buying another but if a second one ripped easily again it would be my last.

Ringo
    Free Member

There great been running them since September last year, sheds mud really well I aint light I run mine tubeless with low pressure. Only used on rear can’t comment on front better than mud x

ssboggy

I’ve just bought a pair it’ll be first ride out tomorrow, they are the EXc version, are they a bit tougher on the side wall? They went up easily tubeless on some Crests with the yellow tape.
    Will report back tomorrow how they ride, should be plenty of mud about!

ratadog

they are the EXc version, are they a bit tougher on the side wall?

No, as I understand it Maxxis’ tougher sidewall technology is not EXC but EXO.

EXC is their higher tpi (threads per inch) casing and therefore has greater suppleness but at the expense of less puncture and tear resistance.

ratadog

OK, had a reply from both the retailer and the importer for which much thanks if they read this. The importer says that having reviewed the maxxis literature and looked at the tyre sidewalls of all the tyres in the warehouse the 90kg limit appears on all tyres and is a tyre weight limit not a rider weight limit. They feel that weight limit is 2 tyres = 180kg.

For my part as I am well under 180kg and not riding a unicycle I will give them a go. I presume this is a new change because I have an ardent and an aspen bought about 12-18 months ago and I cannot find a similar moulded weight limit on either of them.

robbieh
    Free Member

My Beavers arrived today from Next day tyres.com. wire version only 21.99 each and free post! bargain i thought. I’ll be trying them wed. night.

ratadog

Yes, I would have gone wire version at that price but last week when I needed a tyre in a hurry nobody had that version in stock.

Rats.

ds3000
    Free Member

Have had one on the back for a few months, I’d defo recommend. Very grippy indeed, fairly fast rolling. Is a little narrow but to be honest it doesn’t really bother me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Beaver Opinions’ is closed to new replies.