Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Maxxis Ardent similar to Spesh Purgatory?
  • filks

Just trying to max out the volume on the back of the hardtail – currently a spesh Purgatory that is great. Thinking about replacing with a 60a Ardent 2.4….bigger volume, similar tyre or am I way off?
    If not what is? It’s a general trail bike carbon 456 with 140mm forks and ridden in Surrey and Swinley mainly. 26″ wheels

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2.4 ardent is my tyre of choice if slop is absent. Deeper tread than the narrow version and tough but nice rolling.

brassneck

Purg has a fair bit more tread, but the Ardent would be fine year round in Swinley. I didn’t swap to Winter tyres this year (of which the Purg is my rear option) just dropped a few more psi out of the Ikons, I suspect Ardents would work fine in the same way on the back at least.

devash
    Free Member

I’ve always thought of the Purgatory as sitting somewhere between a High Roller and an Ardent. In my experience the Ardent is a better rear tyre than the Purg, which I never got on with out back.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Purg has a fair bit more tread, but the Ardent would be fine year round in Swinley.

This, although I prefer the side knobs on a Purg. I’ve run both in a number of widths and wheel sizes.

If you’re riding at Swinley I’d personally get an Ikon instead. For the summer it’ll work in most places, roll faster, and I’d happily ride Swinley during the winter with it too.

bwakel
    Free Member

A 2.4 Ardent seems like overkill for Swinley and Surrey. A 2.25 Racing Ralph will be much faster and works year round for me. I use Purgatory/Ground Control or High Roller/Ardent in the Lakes, Dales and Wales but they’re unncessarily slow down South.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Ardent similar to Spesh Purgatory?’ is closed to new replies.