Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Maxxis Ardent or High Roller II
  • Twin
    Free Member

Or a mix of both? Looking at the 2.2 LUST Ardent or the 2.3 EXO High roller II’s. Anybody use either? What are they like for grip, rolling resistance etc, been using Minion DHF’s front and rear (with the rear reversed) this winter but they’re now on their last legs, a bit draggy for my liking but very grippy. I live 10 mins from Cwmcarn so mostly trail centre use with some natural stuff chucked in.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I would be looking at High Roller front/Ardent rear.. having used an Ardent i’m not sure how i’d like it as a front tyre!

discapade
    Free Member

Ardent 2.4 front 2.2 rear mate..perfecto

heisenberg
    Free Member

For the life of me, i dont know whay anyone see past high rollers… Better than sliced bread. High roller 2 even better.. Actually even better than the bike itself .

Brown
    Free Member

I’ve currently got an Ardent EXO 2.25 run tubeless on the back, having always used Minion fronts in the past. It’s been pretty tough (one pinch in two months in the Peak District), reasonably fast-rolling, great around corners and surprisingly grippy at this time of year. It’s not great in really muddy stuff, but if it’s just wet, or rocky, it’s great. I think the Minion is probably a better all-round tyre, but I’m not planning on binning the Ardent any time soon. I’ll certainly be running it on the rear in the summer.

HindlePie
    Free Member

Actually even better than the bike itself .

😀

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve got an Ardent 2.3 (?) on the front of my 29er SS tubless on a Stans rim. Although it is has loads more grip than the Crossmark I have left on the back it does seem to get a bit out of it’s depth in the sloppy mud that is everywhere at the moment.

edward2000
    Free Member

This post is aimed directly at heisenberg…

The original high rollers were great until you leaned the tyre over so it was on the part of the tyre where there was literally no tread…….

Mugboo

Surely your not really lent over if your on the bald bit…

tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

I think you need a selection. Muddy and roots or rocks, = Rollers. Intermediate = Ardents or Roller front, Ardent back. Dry = Ardents of Ardent front and Larsen back.

For my usual Surrey Hills riding I’m on Ardent/Larsen most of the year.

Personally I go for 2.3 or 2.4 and low PSI. Except on tarmac I don’t think narrower, higher pressure set ups roll as efficiently or give as much grip.

AlexSimon

The original high rollers were great until you leaned the tyre over so it was on the part of the tyre where there was literally no tread…….

That was one of the reasons so many liked them.
    Slip to grip is fun and you’ve always got a slight failsafe.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run 2.4 HR2 front and Ardent 2.25 LUST rear on my Remedy. Works well. Both tubeless.

tomaso
    Free Member

Grip surely equals drag? Minions and High Rollers are a great combo. Got an old 2.5 dual ply dhf Minion on rear and while it is heavy its bomb proof and v trippy. Got an On One Chunky Monkey on the front and I’m a big fan. Worth a look for £20

rOcKeTdOg

Ardent every time HRers are far too draggy

sharkattack

The Maxxis High Roller is one of, if not the, greatest bike product ever made.

That’s all I have to say.

heisenberg
    Free Member

MTB will never be where they now are without the maxxis high rollers 😛

……….*ran and hide :mrgreen:

hot_fiat

HRs all the way in the wet, ignitors or larsens in the dry. Ardents lack too much tread between the centre and shoulder to be much use unless you’re 100% on it.

hora
    Free Member

Big fan of Ardents and HRII combos.

in winter tho:

HRII and beaver 2.25 EXO

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Ardent on the back is a great tyre. It gets a bit funky in the wet & mud though.

HR2 is also a great tyre, better than the original. Better still is the Minion DHF. Surprise pick of the bunch is the new Minion DHR2. That thing is amazing. Running them F&R currently on the FS 🙂

Mugboo

Anybody run a Minion DHR on the front? Are Minions tougher/heavier than HR’s?

Spin
    Free Member

For the life of me, i dont know whay anyone see past high rollers… Better than sliced bread.

Works for me. Ride them year round on all sorts of terrain and never felt like it was the tyre holding me back!

mkeyg
    Free Member

Had high rollers 2.35 60a front and rear. Just replaced the front with a hans dampf trailstar and it is so much more grippy its unreal. Wod def recommend high roller for the rear but found the square profile sketchy on the front. High roller 2 3c is supposed to be much better for conrnering grip than the originals though

number18
    Free Member

I’ve got 2.25 (26in) Advantage front & back. I wanted an Ardent on the back really but needed to buy one urgently and Llandegla shop only had 29in!

Having said that, the Advantage f+r was great and a massive improvement on my very worn 18 month old Smart Sams!

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

I am a big fan of the ardent but it is not a tyre for the wet. The tread is very slight and is useless in mud that is deeper than 10mm. It is best used as a front tyre in dry conditions.

Alex

Ardent on the back is a great tyre. It gets a bit funky in the wet & mud though.

Indeed. I prefer the Advantage (no 29 version tho) or Ardent to a HR. But the Ardent will fill will mud and then slide. Pretty shallow knobs compared to a HR. Still that’s half the fun.

If you stay on 😉

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

After riding again past few days I’ve decided I like the Advantages I have a 2.1 out back and same at the front. Not keen as a front tyre. Would a 2.35 HR or HR 2 work well with the Advantage out back?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Ardent or High Roller II’ is closed to new replies.