Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Maxxis Aggressor 1st ride
  • stevied
    Free Member

Had the 1st spin out last night with the new Maxxis Aggressor on the front and thought some of you might be interested in my thoughts.

Went for the Dual Comp 27.5″ x 2.3″ EXO TR as the Double Down isn’t available yet.

It was the 1st ride this year, on The Malvern’s, when it’s been dry enough to warrant anything less than a Shorty (although I ran a DHR2 on the front for a couple of rides as I’d sold the Shorty).
    The Aggressor is designed for loose/hard surfaces which was the case last night.
    I’d previously been running a DHF on the front (3C/EXO/TR) and in like-for-like conditions the Aggressor was both faster rolling and ,IMO, had more grip in hard corners. We’re not really blessed with berms around these parts (unless you go off-piste) so quite a lot of the high speed corners are flat/off camber. I felt I could just drop the bike over and let the tyre do it’s job.
    I got a few PB’s on climbs and downhills (which were set on the DHF) which, after one ride is pretty impressive. Need to play with the pressure but ran about 25psi last night and I think it’ll go down to about 20 without any issues.

We also did an off-piste loamy run which was also quicker on the Aggressor. No problems with clogging, grip etc on tight/loose corners into catch berms and over rooty sections.

Set-up on EX471 rims the tyre went up with a floor pump 1st time, no compressor needed, and has held pressure over night.

So that’s my front spring/summer tyre sorted, just need to find something to go on the back (currently a DHR2 EXO/TR).

zelak999
    Free Member

Nice review,would it be a good fast rolling rear tyre too?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Interesting – just done some digging and they seem to be getting really good reviews.

Next Day Tyres will have them in stock (none DD version) in a few weeks time so will give one a whirl on the Switchback.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Yetiman
    Free Member

Mmmm…I’m trying to decide whether or not to replace a worn rear DHR2 29 with either an Aggressor, or possibly the new Tomahawk. I really like the DHR2 but I’m tempted to try something different this summer.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Any chance of an update how this has performed over the summer and autumn

scruff
    Free Member

Great rear summer tyre on everything, had a dhf on the front. It clogs in the mud pretty quickly.

stevied
    Free Member

Not had a chance to try it in the wet really. Performed very well over the summer (with an Ardent Race on the back) but took it off for a week in Canada and haven’t taken the super-tacky DHR2 off yet..

carlos
    Free Member

I’ve been running the (same spec as above) Aggressor on the rear and it is a cracking tyre.

Started out with it on the front and a DHR Minion 2.3 on the rear, but when I first laid eyes on the bike (new purchase and I’d specified the tyres) I knew I’d made a mistake as it was narrower than the Minion (Hope DH rims). First thing I did was swap them round and it’s been faultless so far.

I mainly ride in The Peak, The Lakes and Wales so a good mix of surfaces and all bar some proper slop (almost axle deep) its always had plenty of grip and inspires confidence without feeling draggy.

It’s almost a perfect (imo) midway tyre between the Minion SS and the DHR. Its definitely gong to be staying on the back well into the winter

Carlos

beano68
    Free Member

I used the Aggressor on the front of my 29er,and struggled to find grip with it.tried various pressures, might try it on the rear at some point but happy with the DHR2 atm

fudge9202
    Free Member

Looks like it’s better on the rear, I’ll run it with a minion dhf 3c exo on the front, and see how it goes. Also I’ve just bought the tomahawk so plenty of options.
    Cheers for the update

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Aggressor 1st ride’ is closed to new replies.