Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Maxxis Advantage Tyres as a all round autumn/winter tyre
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

does anybody run these through winter months? contemplating getting a pair of ust ones, as the blurb says “shed mud easily”

im hoping they are a general all rounder you can actually keep on throughout the year….i dont tend to ride in fields of mud, or thick gloopy mud really, peak district grit is more the thing with the occasional muddy singletrack etc…

will be replacing crossmark (rear) ignitor (front) combo on ust…

any info really appreciated 🙂

MRanger156
    Free Member

I run one on the rear all year long – solid performer. Run one on the front in the summer and dry conditions for xc but prob wouldn’t put one on the front all year round.

jonk

Depends on the mud. Round my way the mud is thick and the advantages clogged just like many other tyres i have used . The downside being they didn’t shed the mud as well as say a mudX or Cinder.

mooman
    Free Member

I run a 2.4 on front. It can be heavy when full of mud. But it isn’ t a race tyre anyways.
    It gives the best grip on natural steep forest tracks all year around. Prob because its so wide ..

jonny-m
    Free Member

I actually have a pair for sale in UST 2.1 in very good condition. Only selling to fund a wider set for my new hardtail!
    Love the tyres and run them year round very good in all conditions
    Email in profile if your interested or post up on here

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thanks for the input guys, could do with a bit more convincing from peak district riders really, as its not massively muddy alot of the places i ride (hope,ladybower etc)…not saying it doesnt entail mud, but its alot more rocky/gritty etc than down right field typre sloggy mud…

jonny just emailed you buddy

DWT
    Free Member

Ive ridden them for the last 3 years (ish) and they have done the job really well. Ride trail centres and the beacons so bit of everything really!!!

13thfloormonk

SOunds like your terrain is similar to the Pentlands, i.e. can be wet but no prolonged mud slogs. I’ve been running ADvantages on and off for a few years throughout Autumn and Winter, and have been perfectly happy to trade the occasional slip/slide for the reduced rolling resistance on the harder stuff. Currently trying an Aspen on the back, ADvantage on front, just for japes.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers guys, sounds promising then…if it really dries up i can always bang on the crossmark/ignitor combo, though crossmark is starting to slip a fair bit now….

you mention advantage about rolling resistance, im guessing you mean it doesnt slow you down? is this a pretty quick rolling tyre on tarmac then? id kind of assumed it wouldnt be so thats a bonus if so!

orena45

I use Advantages for most of the year, including winter rides in the Peak when I lived in Derby. Really good tyre for all conditions bar really gloopy mud (which most non-mud tyres would struggle in anyway)

sambob
    Free Member

I’ve got 2.25 advantage front and rear, work well for me in the Peak.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

2.1’s front & rear on mine. Exception Series, tubeless. They stay on all year round & grip like..grippy things.

legend
    Free Member

2.1 front n rear here…. the front sucks. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy front wheel drifts as much as the next man, but there’s some times that I’d like to feel the front tyre dig in when I tip the bike into a corner 😉

Sadly, haven’t yet decided what the best replacement would be.

It’s grand on the back though!

Crag
    Free Member

What Legend says. Ran them on the front for a while but after a few sketchy moments I swapped it out for a Minion.

Great on the back though.

mattjg
    Free Member

Can’t speak for grit but I wouldn’t run them in damp forest (ie wet roots, clarty mud, cambers) or chalk.

Fine in the forest in dry.

So my answer is no, for the conditions I ride which is North Downs/Surrey Hills.

13thfloormonk

OW, not saying its ‘quick’ on tarmac, just quicker than a really spikey mud tyre or (by hearsay anyway) the likes of a High Roller/Minion.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

really top comments guys, sounding pretty mixed, but pretty positive too, especially as a rear tyre

it would be the exception 2.1 ust tyres, so id be able to run the pressures pretty low for ultimate grip….

i may just bite the bullet, if they dont do too great through winter, sounds like the rest of the year they will fit the bill pretty well! i will probably get some for spring anyways, so worth trying out in winter first too…

to be fair, its been pretty wet and manky just lately, hence muddy, gritty etc not many stretches of our rides are done in mud, not uphill anyways…my crossmark rear ust has performed pretty well in the above given its a summer tyre, its spins out alot on some surfaces but this time last year id already taken it off about a month before…..

the advantage has got to give me even more grip than the crossmark, so it shoud be an improvement from the word go..

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just another thought does anybody run a

advantage rear & medusa front?

is that a good combo?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Advantage Tyres as a all round autumn/winter tyre’ is closed to new replies.