Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Maxxis Advantage – anything else similar worth trying?
  • dawson

Currently running a 2.1 Advantage on the back of my Latitude, but its near the end of its life.

To be used on local cross country, Peak District riding and a bit of road riding to get to my local loop.

Is there anything similar worth trying? (or do I just stick with another Advantage…)

binners

Stick with the Advantage but go 2.3

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Bonty XR4, the newer style.

rocketman
    Free Member

Ardents are very similar to Advantages they roll a little faster but are slightly less grippy in loose corners and on greasy roots.

The Advantage has a full set of Minion-esque shoulder knobs whereas on the Ardent there are fewer, more widely-spaced knobs. Ardent also has a less dense centre tread but both tyres have the same rounded, full-volume carcass. Size-for-size the weight is almost identical.

I would go for an Ardent on the back it would be a great combo.

dawson

ta, folks useful stuff.

@rocketman – its only the rear I’m changing, front is currently a Conti Mountain King 1 (as thats what came with the bike)
    I changed the rear for the Advantage straight away, but will have to manage with the front as it is for now

IA

Stick a crossmark on the back, and go faster but with more sketchyness.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

rocketman+1

loum
    Free Member

Got an ardent and advantage on my bike, and can confirm the above.
    One other slight difference, the ardent is a more rounded, circular profile compared to the advantage’s slightly more angular, squared shoulder profile. I have got 2.4’s though, so it may be more noticable.

RustySpanner

Spesh Purgatorys are an updated version of the ADvantage, designed by the same bloke.
    Cheaper too.

There’s a link on the ‘Smorgasbord’ thread giving more details, but your getting a similar, arguably better tyre with the Purgatory but for less cash.
    Not seen a negative report about them yet.

The new Bonty XR4’s are also superb, I reckon one of those on the front with a Purgatory on the back would be a damn good combination.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Spesh Purgatorys are an updated version of the ADvantage, designed by the same blokegirl

Alison Dunlap?

[is why its moniker is ADvantage]

MartynS

Stick with the Advantage but go 2.3

I had the 2.4 Advantage and they come up BIG. I found them a bit draggy and very heavy, went to the 2.25 which were still big but half the weight.

I did find the sidewalls quite thin, and on Peak district rock wore through very quickly. Using Nobby Nics now and like them a lot

Anyone tried the Maxxis copys 18bikes were doing (CST I think)??
    about half the price of the Maxxis if I remember right

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Advantage – anything else similar worth trying?’ is closed to new replies.