Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Maxxis Advantage 2.4 – any good?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Noticed that Merlin are doing a deal on these tyres at the moment, and as i’m going to need some new rubber for my bike trip i am looking at these tyres.
    What do the Advantages roll like/grip like etc?

Good for a trip to Spain?

jonk
    Free Member

They are good but i think the 2.4 is too wide. It isn’t a dual ply tyre either so not very good for downhill only duties. I run the 2.25 they are bigger than 2.35 high rollers!

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve no experience of the 2.4’s but run the 2.1’s. The 2.1 come up big so the 2.4’s must be huge.

They are light and roll well. Grip is ok as an all rounder but not great.

I’d be worried about the side wall strength if it was very rocky.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hilldodger
    Free Member

I’ve used the 2.25 Advantage and it is pretty wide it’s a new design Maxxis so comes up big compared to older designs – quite a good rolling tyre and if it’s the EXO version it will be pretty tough but as above, not a DH tyre.

snotrag

I’ve used the Smaller sizes before, they work well. Better than the Highroller IMO.

The 2.4 is massive though.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I have a set on at the moment, will be swapped for something narrower and spikier in the next few weeks with winter setting in.

As said above they really are bloody massive – make sure your frame has sufficient clearance before buying.

teacherman
    Free Member

They’re hooooge! I bought some last summer for a day in the lakes – no pinch flats and they seemed to hold their corners well.

jambon
    Free Member

They are HUGE. Many frames cannot accomodate them.

I live in Spain. Large(ish) volume fast tyres are the thing here, I recon. Crossmark 2.25 on the back – large volume, very quick. Up front anything from a High Roller to an Ignitor – I use an Ignitor 2.35, nice’n’drifty in loose over hardpack – teaches you to lean round corners properly. I recon sticky tyres are a waste of time here, no grippier but much slower.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Thanks for that Jambon – a Spanish perspective is useful 🙂

Bike is a Wolf Ridge 6.8 so clearance shouldn’t be a problem, if they are that big though perhaps they’ll be draggy?

Hmm, back to the drawing board i think..

rc200f8
    Free Member

I ran a pair of 2.4 advantages until they were worn out, thought they rolled & gripped pretty well, ran them tubeless (stans)at 20psi in Spain with ciclo montana – no punctures during the week. Eventually destroyed the rear one (pinch hole in the sidewall) in the Peaks & had a dummy spitting moment trying to repair it!!

mralexbenn
    Free Member

I have some 2.4 barely used as they are a bit large for the general trail riding I do. Looking to get rid of them if any body wants the pair for £15, but its collection from Newcastle.

nickhart
    Free Member

dunno about spain but they’re one of my favourite tyres of all time. use a sensible tube and yes they wear out on the side walls but they’ve kept my 17 stone a*se going over peak trails.

mooman
    Free Member

I run one on front of my mbop.
    Its wide for sure. But offers superb grip in all realistic mtbing conditions.

Not good for racing etc.
    But if grip is your main concern – their great.

kudos100
    Free Member

No idea about the 2.4’s but the 2.1’s are a brilliant all round tyre. I ran them last year front and rear and this year on the front on one bike and on the rear of another.

As a reasonably fast rolling grippy tyre for xc they are hard beat.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Advantage 2.4 – any good?’ is closed to new replies.