Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Maxxd or toro
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Brain says toro is bright enough, smaller lighter and lasts as long. Any reason to go maxxd over the toro. Ta

andybrad

i have a toro.

Its good but am often pushing 3 hrs on a ride and it only just lasts!!

chakaping
    Free Member

I have a Toro and agree with andy – fab light and the only reason I’d want a Maxx-D is if I was doing more than 2.5 hours.

But I usually do less than that at night, and I have a Lumenator for my helmet if I wanted to do longer rides.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nicksixtynine
    Free Member

Agree with above… We have a Toro each, plenty of lumens on full chat for the down and twisty bits. Switch to low for uphill sections. We use setting no.4, 2hrs on full or 11-12hrs on low, 4 or 5hrs if you alternate between H,M and L…. Never felt like I needed any more light than this gives out on full. Got a Diablo on the helmet too though… Perfect combo.. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

PS. I did a ride where my helmet light failed on the first descent.

The Toro was not adequate on it’s own, couldn’t see what was after any of the drops on a trail that was new to me.

firestarter
    Free Member

Mmm… I have a 850l joystick on the head already but still Mmm lol

mboy
    Free Member

Toro if you do any road riding… Maxx-D is WAY too floody on the road, and even on dim settings annoys car drivers (Toro will still do this but much less so).

No road riding? Maxx-D for sure… A huge wall of light and awesome run times. I generally find that the 6hr setting is more than bright enough for most of my riding!

chakaping
    Free Member

Mmm… I have a 850l joystick on the head already but still Mmm lol

I’m sure that would be fine.

chiefgrooveguru

Maxx-D. You don’t need to run it at full power, so you get more life.

nedrapier

Anyone use a Race?

MarcSussex
    Free Member

What mboy says ^

I have a toro and dont find it lacking in lumens, but it is quite a narrow band of light. The upside of that is use for road, the downside is off road either cx or mtb i need to use a helmet light too.

firestarter
    Free Member

That’s the thing Marc I already have a joystick for the head and prefer two lights anyway

But as said you can always tone done the power of the max to increase run times.how much can be gained from similar output settings

Though on a light comparison guide the max and toro looked very similar in distance output it was only near vision that toro looked to lack in and the joystick could cover that. In fact the joystick could be lost with the maxxd

How do the two compare side by side. Dimensions seem fairly similar but I’ve read the maxxd is noticeably chunkier than the toro

Apologies for over procrastination 🙂

iainc

Not directly answering the question, but I have the most recent bar one MaxxD, about 6 months old and run it on high reflex. I pair it with a new 1000 lumen Joystick. When going fast in a straight line the Joystick is completely lost, however on twisty stuff it lives up to it’s name… 😀

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Toro here and the back up battery.

andybrad

whats the backup battery like?

can you just plug it in and it powers the toro?

whitestone
    Free Member

Road.cc have a comparison guide

From reading Exposure’s blurb any light with smart port can take power from the backup battery or act as a power source for something plugged in

honeybadgerx

The piggyback batteries are great little things if your run exposure lights all round.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Yep love the back up battery gives double run times on my toro depending on the power setting.

andybrad

which one have you got?

Yak

Anyone use a Race?

Yes. I have one. And it’s about to go back again… (3rd time).
    The reflex keeps on packing up so it burns through the battery really fast. But you need the reflex settings as the standard settings are not really that bright. (I know that is relative, and compared to 5 years ago, it would be really bright….)

But it does work well when it is working. It’s fine for short solo rides when combined with a headtorch.

BUT if I was shopping now with an exposure-type budget, I would probably consider something else. I like the look of the Four4th Rameses. Self-contained, 5200 lumens and the ability to screw in another battery for really long rides. Anyone got one?

nedrapier

Thanks Yak! The Reflex sounds perfect if it works…

Don’t always like full-sun lighting if I’m climbing or riding on the flat, but it’s pretty regularly that I find myself getting up to full bum-squeak speed down hill, thinking that I’d love to see better, then realising helmet and bar light are both on low.

nedrapier

Four4th Rameses. Self-contained, 5200 lumens and the ability to screw in another battery for really long rides.

Bit ugly though, sir?

Yak

Well yes, but you won’t be looking at it. You’ll be descending at full-bum-squeak speed because you can with all those lumens. 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Looks a low power battery for the claimed runtime

benp1

Are those green LEDs genuinely more effective?

Also, 1h20 @ over 5k lumens from 2,600 mAh battery… really?

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Back up batteries. I have the 3.1 for the toro and the 1.7 for the joystick

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Maxxd or toro’ is closed to new replies.