Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Maxwell's Silver Hammer (and other tracks that 'ruin' great albums)
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

IMHO of course, but jeez, why did they bother? The album is sublime without it.

RustySpanner

It lends a certain pataphysical tone though, don’t you think?

And as much as I love Elbow, I don’t think that Lewis’s advert version of Golden Slumbers is a patch on the original.

slowoldman

And as much as I love Elbow, I don’t think that Lewis’s advert version of Golden Slumbers is a patch on the original.

Haven’t heard it but doesn’t surprise me.

So Jim, how do you feel about Octopus’s Garden?

RustySpanner

Sub-mission from Never Mind the Bollocks is poor, as is Closed Groove from Inflammable Material.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its not even the worst song on that album….looks at Macca with stern eyes

Nico
    Free Member

“Sometimes Paul would make us do these really fruity songs. I mean, my god, Maxwell’s Silver Hammer was so fruity. After a while we did a good job on it, but when Paul got an idea or an arrangement in his head…”

George Harrison
    Crawdaddy magazine, February 1977

Unusual use of the term “fruity” but it shows that even the Beatles had misgivings about some of Paul’s songs. Obla-di-obla-dah wasn’t that good either.

RustySpanner

Junkyard – lazarus
    Its not even the worst song on that album….looks at Macca with stern eyes

Go on then….. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Her majesty – pointless adds nothing and after that ending nothing is needed as it will add nothing to what is a great side 2 – side 1 much less so IMHO

I believe even the beatles wanted it off and it was a mixing error but this may be rumour not sure?

RustySpanner

True, but I can still bear to listen to it, if I remember it’s there, unlike MSH.

I like Octopuses Garden btw.
    😐

Train in Vain has to be the best hidden/unlisted song on an album.

DezB
    Free Member

Mate of mine was in hysterics about how bad ‘Jimmy Jazz’ was on London Calling when we first bought it. Every track is superb on there to me!

I recently had to delete a track off a Little Simz album, due to really bad lyrics and the worst singing in the chorus ever! So sickly.
    “A Curious Tale Of Trials + Persons” was the album… “God Bless Mary” being the track. I’m probably on my own there though 😆
    If anyone’s curious
    [video]https://youtu.be/2cfSHpgfBtw[/video]

Moses

Jazz Police on Cohen’s I’m Your Man. Dross.

RustySpanner

DezB – Member
    Mate of mine was in hysterics about how bad ‘Jimmy Jazz’ was on London Calling when we first bought it. Every track is superb on there to me!

I’ve got a mate who’s the same about Lover’s Rock, has been since he was 11.
    He even left it off the cassette copy he made me.
    🙂
    I was a bit gobsmacked to discover it when I finally bought the album.

Mathematically Safe by HMHB from Trouble over Bridgewater is a bit crap.
    Just doesn’t feel very HMHB, if you know what I mean.

Holiday by Green Day is a bit of a dirge too, tbh.

dannyh
    Free Member

For every Jimmy Jazz, there’s a Brand New Cadillac (but then that’s a cover so…….).

seosamh77
    Free Member

Maxwells silver hammer is a great choon. not a bad song on that album, the beatles best imo.

Northwind

9/15ths, on Puzzle, by Biffy Clyro. Not just a completely awful song but also one that inexplicably made it into their live set for a decade

avdave2

Well I hate to admit it but I rather like The Unforgettable Fire if you remove Pride open pretentious brackets In The Name Of Love close pretentious brackets.

RustySpanner

dannyh – Member
    For every Jimmy Jazz, there’s a Brand New Cadillac (but then that’s a cover so…….).

I’m with Dez on this, LC’s all killer, no filler.

I believe in this and it’s been tested by research……

CountZero

So glad when Dire Straits Love Over Gold came out on CD, so I could easily either skip or programme out Industrial bloody Disease, which has no place on that album whatsoever.
    It’s also the only DS album I like enough to own.

dannyh
    Free Member

I believe in this and it’s been tested by research……

Go on, finish the lyric……

RustySpanner

……..just another story.
    🙂

nedrapier

She Likes Surprises on Superunknown has always seemed out of place. It doesn’t grate as much as it did, but for such a solid, long, full album, I think it could have done with being 3.5 mins shorter.

SiofCannock
    Free Member

That track on The Stone Roses where they just ran Waterfall backwards. Rubbish.
    The spoken bit after Pink Cellphone by Deftones on Saturday Night Wrist. Must have seemed like a good idea at the time.

thepurist

Magic Window doesn’t add much to Geogaddi. Almost forget I’m listening to it.

RustySpanner

Right, having had a think and a nosey through the records, I’m going for Stairway.
    It is a truly awful tune and like all Zepp lyrics, so epically embarrassing it’s impossible to stop giggling.

scotroutes

How can you complain about Maxwell when there’s that abomination of a tune “sung” by Ringo?

Pigface
    Free Member

Closed groove on Inflamable Material, utter drivel.

scoob67
    Free Member

Music Hall Paul wrote some pure howlers but then also wrote Here There And Everywhere and Darlin’ so can almost be excused.

TomB

I always stopped GnR’s use your illusion 2 when it got to My World, although apparently some people like it….

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Always hated “walk of life” on brothers in arms. I don’t mind Faith No Mores cover of “Easy” but it did not belong on a re-issued Angel Dust.

llama

Well, if we are talking Beatles:
    The
    Long
    And
    Winding
    Road
    Will grate on me till I die.

And as for the reverse loop of waterfall. No way, that’s the statement piece of the album. Imho.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member 
    Right, having had a think and a nosey through the records, I’m going for Stairway.

Controversial!

I detest ‘The Lemon Song’ from Led Zepp II, an album I otherwise love

My ‘auto-skip’, ‘I Want Your (Hands on Me)’ from Sinead’s Lion & Cobra

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Maxwell's Silver Hammer (and other tracks that 'ruin' great albums)’ is closed to new replies.