Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Maxle hub servicing tips needed please
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

My front wheel is wobbling a bit. I’m pretty sure the maxle is ok but when I take the wheel off there’s some play in the two spacers that stick out each side. It’s a specialized hub possibly off a Pitch.

Is it possible to tighten them up or check the condition of the bearings?

How do I remove the spacers and check the bearings?

Thanks.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

The maxle is the type of axle and there are many many types of hub that work with a maxle axle. What hub is it? any naming on it? Did it come as standard on a bike – if so which one?

The spacers will wobble anyway so no worries there. I suspect the bearings are gone.

Did that seem a bit short? Sorry if so!

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Yeah I forgot to say which hub but just edited it. It’s a Specialized hub which I think came off a Pitch like the Pikes did. I’ve checked the maxle through the hub and it’s tight there with the wedges working and I’ve checked it in the forks with the wheel off and it’s tight there too. Do the spacers just pull off?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

It’s ok emergency over I think I’ve fixed it. I just took the maxle apart and the wedge at the lever end is worn and wasn’t spreading properly. I’ve greased it and refitted the wheel and it’s tight again now. I think I just need a new wedge (hopefully).

Any tips on future hub bearing replacement gratefully received though.

Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Maxle hub servicing tips needed please’ is closed to new replies.