Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Maximum current from French hotel electrical sockets ?
  • flap_jack
    Free Member

Going to France next week. Decided I wanted some coffee making facilities, so I bought a portable induction hob (with adjustable power) so that I can run my moka pot, and warm some milk for mrs flap_jack, who likes a latte.

Just unpacked it for a trial run, and it comes on at max power, 2kW, which you then turn down. I was hoping you would ramp the power up.

Will I blow the trip in a modern hotel (an Ibis, in this case) room ? Or set the hotel on fire ?

Thanks.

gwurk
    Free Member

it’s France. They’re pretty good at Coffee

aP
    Free Member

They’ll probably have a kettle in the room. Otherwise, I’m sure you’ll be fine. The trouble in French hotels is that the after dinner coffee is usually good, but they started to brew the breakfast coffee before you finished eating.

scotroutes

Did you take some Rich Tea biscuits and your own toilet paper too?

oldnpastit

When my uncle took his new wife on their honeymoon to France, in 1946, my grandfather warned them to take their own food as France would still be in ruins, and even worse than Britain.

So being the dutiful son-in-law he was, he took a suitcase full of tinned food with him.

Stepping off the train at Gare du Nord, he found that France was overflowing with fresh food.

You’re going to have the same experience.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Stepping off the train at Gare du Nord, he found that France was overflowing with fresh food.

You’re going to have the same experience.

🙂

onandon
    Free Member

Remember to bring some towels too. I’m not sure France has towels.

This is one of the most mental recent threads on STW.

nickc

They’ll probably have a kettle in the room

I wouldn’t bet on it personally.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

it’s France. They’re pretty good at Coffee

Yep, they have just as many Starbucks, Costa’s and McDonalds as we do..!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This is one of the most mental recent threads on STW.

Nah we had sell by dates on rubber

cchris2lou

Bring your own generator and diesel just to be safe.

grahamt1980

I suggest it might be safer to get at the minimum a vw t6 and stock it with everything you need.
    Although thinking about it a winnebago rv might be best so you can take the contents of your house with you just in case

wallop

I’ve never seen a Costa or Starbucks in France. Lots of Maccy Ds though!

Rich_s

Remember to bring some towels too. I’m not sure France has towels.

A few years ago I ran a course in a 4* hotel in Kendal. A young lady turned up for a 2 night stay, 3 day course, with two large suitcases containing towels. And bedding. Her mum had advised her to bring them.

#theywalkamongus

footflaps

They’ll probably have a kettle in the room

Quite a British thing, not that common in Europe, in fact I don’t ever recall seeing one..

It’s 16A or nearly 4kW so it’ll be fine.

onandon
    Free Member

I live in Geneva and have been traveling Italy, Germany and France for most of the summer.
    Most have in room facilities unless they are a small family hotel.

footflaps

My wife fused an entire floor of a hotel in Barcelona with a 3kW hair drier…

It was a pretty shit hotel to be honest.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Thanks, Dave. I thought it was 16A but was struggling on google without my first coffee.

My mother is French, so I have lots of French family and have been there, ahem, quite often. They would certainly take their own stuff to an Ibis.

tomd
    Free Member

What’s the mineral content of the tap water? If it’s too high it can play have with your Moka pot.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Tomd 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

The reason British hair driers used to trip French electrics is that they tripped the 30 milliamp current loss breaker. Since britain adopted EC standards the problem has gone away.

Current French wiring standards mean the breaker will most probably be 16A, though there may be table lamp sockets on a 10A circuit. Use the sockets which aren’t obviously related to the lighting circuit and it’ll be 16A.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Thanks, Educator. Just what I needed.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Maximum current from French hotel electrical sockets ?’ is closed to new replies.