Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Max size middle chainring?
  • RichBowman

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there’s a maximum size for the middle ring? I’m changing from a triple to a double, and replacing the middle (34T) with something like a 40 or 42, and eventually stepping up the granny from 24 to 28/30.

Is this doable (on deore cranks)?

Cheers,

Rich

wwaswas

you might be better using the outer and middle tabs rather than middle and inner as they’ll both be 104bcd.

njee20
    Free Member

Chainstay clearance is the issue. I’ve run a 42 in the middle position with no issue on a couple of Epics, but some bikes won’t have the clearance.

you might be better using the outer and middle tabs rather than middle and inner as they’ll both be 104bcd.

You can’t fit bigger than a 30t on the middle ring, and only then by using an Extralite Octaramp and filing the spider.

RichBowman

Ahhh – excellent! Chainstays – completely forgotten about those. Exactly why I thought I should ask first. Will check them this weekend and see how much room I’ve got to spare.

Saying its all fine – any suggestions where to get the shallow chain ring bolts (as the ones I’ll have will be too long)?

Cheers,

Rich

njee20
    Free Member

eBay, all sorts of pretty colours.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Max size middle chainring?’ is closed to new replies.