Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Max psi in non-UST tubeless tyres
  • shermer75
    Free Member

So in the past when I have converted to tubeless the side walls have appeared to start leaking again if I inflate much above 50-60 psi, I’m guessing that whatever seal the sealant has made is getting pushed out. Is that everyone else’s experience too? I am hoping to run tubeless on a road bike and want to inflate to higher (Continental Gatorskin tyres)

chiefgrooveguru

I think your bigger risk is blowing the tyre off the rim!

simondbarnes

You’re bonkers if you plan to run non tubeless road tyres setup tubeless.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shermer75
    Free Member

I think your bigger risk is blowing the tyre off the rim!

I know what you mean, I certainly wouldn’t want to pump it up mega high, but maybe up to 80 psi would be good. I’m also not sure how much having an inner tube would stop the bead from blowing off the rim anyway- surely it’s still applying an outward pressure?

chiefgrooveguru

I’m also not sure how much having an inner tube would stop the bead from blowing off the rim anyway- surely it’s still applying an outward pressure?

The tube is applying forces through 360 deg of its cross-section, which pushes the bead into the bead seat on the rim. A tubeless tyre doesn’t have those downwards and inwards forces on the bead.

oldnpastit

80psi seems a bit brave for a tyre that’s not tubeless ready on a rim that’s also not tubeless ready. Let us know how you get on….

shermer75
    Free Member

80psi seems a bit brave for a tyre that’s not tubeless ready on a rim that’s also not tubeless ready. Let us know how you get on…

So far so still alive! 🙂 I’ve had it up to 120 psi before, it just doesn’t stay like that for long lol

shermer75
    Free Member

The tube is applying forces through 360 deg of its cross-section, which pushes the bead into the bead seat on the rim. A tubeless tyre doesn’t have those downwards and inwards forces on the bead.

This I don’t get. Surely the air pressure is still pushing in the same directions, whether you are using tube or not?

nickdavies

Don’t do it.
    Unless your running a proper tubeless combo then just don’t, just because you can put air in them doesn’t mean you won’t have 100psi of air blow the tyre out mid corner into oncoming traffic…

It’s not like a mtb tyre at high volume low pressure.

chiefgrooveguru

This I don’t get. Surely the air pressure is still pushing in the same directions, whether you are using tube or not?

Without the tube the inward force is on the rim, the outwards force is on the tyre. With the tube the inwards force that the tube applies to the rim also acts as a bead lock by pressing on the tyre if the tyre tries to unseat.

shermer75
    Free Member

Without the tube the inward force is on the rim, the outwards force is on the tyre. With the tube the inwards force that the tube applies to the rim also acts as a bead lock by pressing on the tyre if the tyre tries to unseat.

That makes a bit more sense to me 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Max psi in non-UST tubeless tyres’ is closed to new replies.