Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Max heart rate on decents
  • mikeep
    Free Member

So I think I’m reasonably fit, from an xc background but started racing enduros.

I’m constantly maxing our my HR on the downs. This seam right? I do like pinning it 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 coz ur scared innit 😉

mikeep
    Free Member

There may be an element of that 🙂

proutster
    Free Member

I know what you mean, I hit a new record HR of 186bpm for me on stage 3 of the PMBA Enduro at Gisburn earlier this month!!

Shows what b*llocks the 220 – your age calculation is, that only “allows” me a max HR of 171 😳

mintimperial

Could be interference from your clothing flapping about. My HR strap used to go nuts on the downhills with static from a synthetic jersey I wore. Doesn’t happen with my other jerseys for some reason.

chakaping
    Free Member

The race was quite sticky and pedally in spots though.

My Max hr was 182 on stage 2 and a bit less on stage 3.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

It will more than likely be a synthetic jersey flapping/rubbing causing interference.

I wear cotton or wool for a more accurate reading.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mikeep – I have ridden with a few people using monitors who have said their max heart rate on the downs is pretty close to that on the climbs

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I rode a couple of days at Afan at the weekend and my max HR was on the Blade downhill to Glyncorrig – by 1bpm so I don’t think it was due to loose jersey etc. I have previously had big peaks in hr which I am now sure was down to glitches in the belt – 220 minus age works spot on for me.

jam-bo

yep. 2-3 minutes of sprinty anaerobic exertion, mixed in with a dose of speed/fear and forgetting to breath will pretty much max out my HR….

mikeep
    Free Member

Yeah, I think some of it is forgetting to breath (and blink). Maybe I should practice some relaxation techniques……….ohhhmmmmmmm……..

daver27
    Free Member

its where i always get my max HR, always has been and i don’t race. its not being scared or anything else, you just use a lot more muscles moving the bike around therefore the old ticker has to work a lot harder and mostly the muscles are being used anaerobically.

julians
    Free Member

My HR is always higher on the descents than the climbs, not by loads, but always higher.

I enjoy the descents and trying to go as fast as I can , I dont care about the climbs, I’ll get to the top in my own time.

superfli
    Free Member

Same as Julians. My max HR will usually be on the downs. Going up I have a steady’ish high HR, but peaking on the downs

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Max heart rate on decents’ is closed to new replies.