• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mavix XC717 tubeless conversion
  • bruceonabike
    Free Member

Anyone know which rim strip I should order? The standard states 1.8mm..something bigger but XC717 is 17mm so do I need a narrower one? Anyone with experience of setting 717s up tubeless please?

Joes’s? Stan’s? some other?

Thanks

cyclistm
    Free Member

I looked to do mine but didn’t quite get round to it in the end. My research suggested gorilla tape as the way forward.

donal
    Free Member

I have used Joe’s narrow rim strips and they worked great and without any problems.

vmgscot

I am using gorilla tape successfully on 717’s

Dickyboy

Hutchinson conversion kit bought cheap on ebay works great on mine 🙂

richmtb

I used a Stans conversion kit, the narrow one. Works well

slimjim78
    Free Member

Another 717 user on Gorilla tape here. Still inflated over a year since I converted them

spence
    Free Member

Just used black electrical tape on an old beat up pair of 717’s, have been inflated for over 18 months now. Only issue was it took a couple of goes to get the valve to seat but that was more to do with the presta/schrader converter plug thing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Electrical tape +1

Just keep adding turns till it seals (start with 3 usually, the more you put on the easier it inflates but the harder it gets to get the tyres on in the first place) and cut a threaded valve from an old tube.

poah
    Free Member

used gorrilla tape and trimmed it. went up a treat as well.

jonk

Depending on the tyre i find that mavic rims need a few more laps of tape than other rims. otherwise mine are working well.

takisawa2

Just ghetto it. Save faffing about with valves & they inflate dead easy.

mildbore

I’ve used Joe’s narrow conversion kit and it works fine. Just fixed a 717 for a mate,he forgot to give me the rim strip so I just used electrical tape and a valve cut from an old tube and it sealed ok. At least it won’t be me who dies (initially)

Northwind

I taped mine, they inflated fine but they wouldn’t stay up without stupid pressures, I kept burping them in corners. I think I could maybe have got it to work but it was too much hassle and going into corners thinking “will the tyre stay up” was rubbish.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’d personally not tubeles such a narrow rim. Far too much burpage.

I suppose it might be OK if you were running tyres at 2 inches or less. You’d have to experiment with that.

Your riding style is a factor too. You’re more at risk of burpage the more 3D you are as a rider.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I only taped up to the edge of the bead lip (trimmed carefully with sharp scalpel.
    Inflated first time and has never run flat. In fact, probably the easiest rim i’ve ever tubelessed.
    Havent noticed it ever burping, but then I run at slightly higher psi than others to compenstate for my extra mass.

poah
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member

Just ghetto it. Save faffing about with valves & they inflate dead easy.

so making a small cut in tape and pushing a valve through Vs putting a small cut innertube round the rim, trying to inflate the tyre, then trimming the excess off the rim. Remind me which one is less faffy?

MartynS

I’d personally not tubeles such a narrow rim. Far too much burpage.
    I suppose it might be OK if you were running tyres at 2 inches or less. You’d have to experiment with that.
    Your riding style is a factor too. You’re more at risk of burpage the more 3D you are as a rider.

717 rims with on one smorgs (2.3 I think)

Never burped, running about 18psi
    It’s fine for me!

adsh
    Free Member

I’d personally not tubeles such a narrow rim. Far too much burpage

I found I sometimes needed to reinflate mine when I raced on them. They didn’t burp noticably but less than careful line choice etc and the rear would gradualy get a bit lower.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mavix XC717 tubeless conversion’ is closed to new replies.