• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by AD.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mavic XC717 Going Tubeless
  • hazzeryoda
    Free Member

Got some new 717 discs coming and want to go tubeless (despite not going for the ZTRs in the end).

What would be the least faffy way of doing it? I’d rather buy in the kit than go ghetto just yet.

If I use stans rim strips plus loads of cloth and duct tape, presumably I am undoing the weight saving positive of going tubeless anyway?

What tyre beads are best? I’m hoping to use some crossmarks so would it be best to go for the LUST version?

Any info would be good.

H

Haze

Stans rim strip and one layer of yellow tape worked for me, didn’t need to drill the rim either.

Was expecting a hard time but it went pretty painlessly, tyre were NN tubeless ready.

AD

I just used the normal Stan’s kit with one layer of yellow tape on my 717’s. Tyres are standard High Rollers (i.e. not tubeless ready).
    Weight of this set up is within 20g of what it was before. The advantage of a tubeless set up is fewer punctures and lower pressures not weight saving in my experience (maybe I put too much solution in… 🙂 )

takisawa2

Ghetto’d mine with Schwalbe threaded valve BMX tubes. Was very easy. Kept thinking I’d missed something but tyres (Kenda Nev & BG non tubeless) went up easy & stayed up.

nixie

Gorilla tape. 717’s are the right width for one of the gorrila tape widths. take out the rim strip and replace with tape. Been on mine for a year now. Google gorrila tape tubeless for a guide. Probably the lightest solution.

hazzeryoda
    Free Member

ok so a mix of tubless oriented and standard tyres being used. Much burping going on? I am taking it that these went on fine with just a trackpump? Gaining confidence…

hazzeryoda
    Free Member

nixie, what tyres and bead?

cakefacesmallblock

Done exactly as AD. 2.35, 2.2 MK tubeless rear. Fine.

nixie

Bonty Mud x 2.0 in winter and Jones acx in summer, both folding.

rwc03
    Free Member

I used the yellow tape, a valve cut from an old tube and 1 cup of sealant on schwalbe tyres. Rear went up fine with a track pump and soapy water but I needed a compressor for the front. Front was a new nobby nic, and I’m guessing would have gone up slightly easier if I’d gone for a ride on it to get out the packaging folds.

hazzeryoda
    Free Member

Ok I think I’m getting myself confused. My LBS told me today that if I wanted to go tubeless with the 717s, i should use UST tyres and just yellow tape and a valve. No rimstrip necessary.

Is this right?

Northwind

hazzeryoda – Member

What would be the least faffy way of doing it?

Get some tubeless rims 😉 Honestly can’t understand why you’d plan to do a tubeless mod on brand new wheels.

But that aside- I mucked around with my 717s for a long time with tape but never got a satisfactory result- they were fine most of the time, and sealed up well, but never stopped burping when used harder. I think probably I could have resolved that with time but I’d had enough rides spoiled by then.

mboy
    Free Member

So you wanted to go tubeless, but you decided on the 717’s in the end? Despite them also being narrower? You do realise, you’re almost negating the cost saving by buying a proper tubeless kit, it’ll be heavier, narrower than the Stans equivalent, and a whole lot more faff right?

717’s still make reasonable sense if you light running 2.1″ or narrower tyres, and run inner tubes still. If you’re running wider tyres, and you want to run tubeless, I’d quickly get your order changed for some Stans rims.

YOU WILL THANK ME IN THE LONG RUN!

hazzeryoda
    Free Member

I want to find out the hard way and I don’t want Ztr rims.

So, are ust tyres on these rims going to be better?

banjowhacker
    Free Member

I’ve been running 717s with 2.35 dual and single ply DH Maxis High Rollers and 2.10 Kenda Nevegals with Stans kit on two bikes for the past few years with no problems. I run them all at about 30psi and i have ripped some gnarl with the fatter tyres on pretty fast technical, rocky descents around Lake Garda, the Lakes, South Wales and elsewhere. If you’re fat and clumsy, you might find otherwise. 🙂

banjowhacker
    Free Member

I should add that all the tyres are non-tubeless.

hazzeryoda
    Free Member

so in what situations would you actually require rubber rim strips or are they just advisable every rim/tyre combo?

oldnpastit

I don’t think you need rubber rim strips.

XC717 + Gorilla tape + Racing Ralph Tubeless Ready (Snakeskin) was very straightforward, although I did use a ghetto compressor (big coke bottle + couple of old valves + tube) as I can’t be bothered with pumping a track pump like a loon.

Try to use a valve with a removable core though, as it makes life much easier (all the Schwalbe presta inner tubes seem to have them).

hazzeryoda
    Free Member

Right that’s it, gonna do that. Cheers. Are you burping much?

dobo
    Free Member

2nd the removable core valves, why would you not use them..

also id say that most non tubeless tyres from maxxis, schwalbe and bonty will work just fine.

there is some logic to your lbs recommending tubeless tyres for this setup because tubeless tyres tend to have a tighter bead fit which is a good thing and can reduce burping, also non tubeless tyres on these rims are often a bit looser unless you use lots of tape or a rim strip.

ztr rims give a tighter fit so non tubless tyres are the preferred option.

its more faff but id try the tape and some non ust tyres and removable core valves before you splash out on ust tyres and rim strips.

AD

😀
    To repeat my original comments – I just bought a Stans kit and I use non-UST tyres on my 717’s – clearly I am going to die…
    Joking aside – the whole set-up was retrofitted to a 3 year old wheelset and works fine. Most of my riding is in the Lakes – i.e. rocky and technical – so the capability to run lower pressures without pinch-punctures is a big deal for me (I hate fixing punctures in the rain…). I run 2.1 tyres which seems to avoid tyre rolling/burping.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mavic XC717 Going Tubeless’ is closed to new replies.