• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mavic UST Tubeless Valves In Light Bicycle Rims
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I’ve got some 35mm 650b light bicycle rims that my lbs are currently building up and have have some spare mavic valves that came with my 821 rims. I’m wondering if they will be suitable for the light bicycle rims?
    They are rectangular at the base to fit inside the mavic rim profile whereas others like Stans I have used are round. I’m also not sure about the length needed.
    I’m guessing they should work and I’ll try them as soon as I have the wheels back but I’m just wondering if anyone else has used them

Thanks

Andy

Rubber_Buccaneer

44mm stans valves (the longer version) are fine in my 38mm rims so if your valves are that long you have no worries. Certainly a short valved tube didn’t work so if your valves are much shorter you may have a problem.

Northwind

Yeah, you need pretty long valves for the LBs, I reckon the shape of my mavic ones would be fine but I don’t think they’d be long enough.

I’m using WTB/Superstar long ones in mine (same part, different price tag 😉 ), imo the big conical base valves are the best for every rim I’ve tried them in, they’re just really unfussy about sealing. The funky mavic rectangular ones only seem to be really useful for oldschool narrow rims where a wider valve might not physically fit.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I just rang the shop who are building them and they tried a mavic one but it didn’t fit. The shaft is only threaded in a small area that isn’t where it needs to be for the new rim They have some stans 35mm and reckon they will fit but ill find out when I pick them up.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Reading some other posts people seem to go for the 44mm Stans valves over the 35mm ones. My LBS have no 44mm left and only 1 set of 35mm left which they have kept for me. They didn’t open them and try them just reckoned they would be OK.
    The rim measures 25mm overall and where the valve sits is 8.5mm lower meaning that the 16.5mm of the valve will be inside leaving 18.5mm remaining to fit the screw ring and then attach a pump. will this be enough for a pump?
    I have reserved some 44mm from halfords as backup so it doesn’t matter too much I just don’t want to buy the 35mm valves from my lbs, open them and find them too short.

Speeder

Mavic valves are barely even long enough for 823s – I can’t imagine them working for anything deeper.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Now that you say that I my pump does go right up to the screw ring on the mavic valves on my 821’s and always seems a bit wobbly.
    I’m just going to fetch the 44mm’s I have reserved from halfords I think.

Rubber_Buccaneer

That would be the safest bet. 35s may be fine or may be a bit short for certain pumps but 44s will be a sure fire OK.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice.
    Next question. What width Stans tape do I need for 35mm rims with 30mm internal diameter.
    Also how much tape is left on the roll I have in the cupboard at home?

enmac
    Free Member

I used the 30mm WTB tape from Chain Reaction, still holding fine after 2 months.

You don’t have enough in the cupboard 😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m happy enough with the stuff I got from Bird.

You have ‘nearly’ enough in the cupboard 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mavic UST Tubeless Valves In Light Bicycle Rims’ is closed to new replies.