• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by GW.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mavic UST 819 or 823 for aggressive-big boned-all-trail riding.
  • scruff
    Free Member

I need a new mavic UST wheel built up, in the last 2 years Ive had to have 1 819 rebuilt as it got flatspotted and wouldn’t keep the spoke tension, and cracked a 719 in the alps on a DH hitting a rock at full pap. It will mainly be used on long all dayers in Peaks and Lakes plus annual Alps trip and DH dossing at the local hill. Considering this is the 823 overkill ?

Im a bigboned all-everything rider, cant be ar5ed with ghetto etc, I’m a proper UST convert. Dunno about stans rims, plus it wont match the 819 on the front- this is very important.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You break 819’s, so you need something stronger?

MadPierre

I use 823 on the FR/DH bike but have not had any bother with 819s for everything else. When I used to use the same wheels for DH days, Alps, Peaks, everthing I used 819s. Only got the 823s when I gained the luxury of a big hitter that I wouldn’t be pedalling far.

Having said that an 823 ain’t that heavy and gives a better profile to fatter tyres……

That probably hasn’t helped? !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GW
    Free Member

719 is irrelevant to your choice. – it’s not as strong as it’s UST equivalent.
    how did you flatspot the 819? and is it likely to occur again?

Rims are disposable items IMO (pity sime are so expensive), just depends how often you want to replace them really.

GW
    Free Member

oh.. and obviously luck does come into it too, you could build an 823 and fold/ding the edge on your first ride making it no use as a tubeless rim.

scruff
    Free Member

GW- dunno. Not had a problem since on new 819 rim but its mainly been used on HT. Apart from last weeend where it got battered round the lakes all weekend no problem. I may have just answered my own question…

MrNutt
    Free Member

I run 823’s on my 31lb long travel HT, I’m a clumsy talentless fool with a tendency to smack his wheels into things with furious idiocy, all I have suffered is a couple of loose spokes. If you’re ok with the minor weight penalty then you’d be very hard pushed to find a better, stronger UST rim.

that said I’m looking at getting some 819’s for days that involve too many long arduous climbs! 😀

mboy
    Free Member

The “minor” weight penalty of an 823 over an 819 isn’t so minor. It’s about 200g per rim.

823 including nipple beds is circa 715g
    819 including nipple beds is circa 515g

I love the 819’s, they’re as stiff and strong as anything pretty much, just a pity they’re relatively narrow. The 823’s are great too, but too heavy for anything except a DH bike IMO.

WHEN OH WHEN are mavic going to bring out an 821? Would be the perfect solution for a lot of us! As it it, because I didn’t want the weight of 823’s, nor the skinniness of 819’s on my new long travel bike, I went down the route of “normal” rims running ghetto.

How heavy are you though Scruff? Might make the difference as I know lighter riders using 819’s on their DH bikes, but I also know of heavier guys having killed 823’s cos they are animals!

scruff
    Free Member

15stone, all muscle. Not fussed about width / big tyres.

GW
    Free Member

weight isn’t the only consideration tho. I have an 11st mate that killed his 823s

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mavic UST 819 or 823 for aggressive-big boned-all-trail riding.’ is closed to new replies.