Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Mavic Scree opinions
  • sp654233
    Free Member

Morning people, I’m after some waterproof trail type SPD shoes/boots, and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on these Mavics(or suggest a better alternative).
    Cheers Si.

BadlyWiredDog

Really comfortable, solid feeling, all-round trail boot with loads of ankle padding and excellent grip from the Contragrip sole even on proper muddy stuff. They’re Gore-Tex lined, but in the real world, water runs straight down your legs into the open ankle cuff and soaks the lining, which takes a while to dry out, though good for riding on damp trails when it’s not actually raining.

You could say the same about most ‘waterproof boots’ I guess, but the Scree’s ankle is more open than most winter boots. The Velcro strap fastening is pretty secure and I like the elasticated top ankle strap which allows you a little give at the ankle, so they don’t feel restrictive.

They’re a little bulkier than most similar boots thanks to the very generous ankle padding, which also adds a little warmth, I think. When I bought mine I had to go up a size from my normal Mavic size for a comfortable fit. I don’t think they allowed for the Gore-Tex liner’s thickness in the lasting.

They’re also hellishly expensive at full whack. I loitered about until they got reduced and I could also throw a voucher code at them.

Don’t know about alternatives: I also like the Shimano hiking boot-style MT91 for winter use, but it’s a different sort of animal. Used to use Specialized Defrosters, but hated the hard plastic of the sole unit, which tends to slip on anything rocky and wet and the waterproofing was gash on those too.

Overall, I’d buy them as an all-round comfortable and sturdy trail-riding boot, but don’t expect your feet to stay reliably dry in heavy rain unless you find a way of sealing the tops of the boot.

HTH. Obviously it helps if they fit your foot shape too. I’d say they’re a medium-isn width and volume fwiw.

sp654233
    Free Member

Wow, cheers for such a indepth reply mate. They sound like what I’m after, I know what you mean about price but luckily I’ve found some in the sales and they have them in clown sizes too! I’m gonna go and try a pair this week, probably against a pair of shimano ones as they were my next choice(mw81’s).
    Thanks again for your help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Scree opinions’ is closed to new replies.