• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by bol.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mavic R-Sys wheels – any first hand experiences?
  • bol

I’ve seen the pics of the broken first generation ones, but has anyone got any positive or negative experience of the more recent ones?

I’m looking for a stiff, light wheelset which won’t deflect too much when climbing hard out of the saddle. I won’t realistically be doing any epic trips where it’s essential to have ready spoke availability, and handbuilts don’t seem to get strong enough without a lot of spokes.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

bol

Bump for the lunchtime crowd. Looking at buying a set of these fairly lightly used and at a good price incidentally.

bookwyse
    Free Member

I use a set of R-Sys SL’s and have had no issus with mine and I am slightly on the porky side at 13st 10lb at the moment. Used the for the Etape Cymru in September over some nasty roads and had no issues at all. I think a lot of the issues were over hyped and have all been sported out now.

anc
    Free Member

Got a set of the tub Slr versions, super stiff very robust wheels, the braking surface is very good(Slr’s, file like brake track which requires special mavic pads). There ideal for me living in the lakes as your going up or down most of the time. But not aero wheels by any stretch of the imagination, so if u mainly do flat stuff there would be better choices. Wouldnt worry about the internet failure stuff, that was the first set years ago and they have changed significantly since.

bookwyse
    Free Member

ANC, I looked at the tubs but as I use a set of 50mm carbon with tubs I couldnt see the point in having another set. How do you rate the tubs on the SLR’s and have you have many visitis from the ‘P’ fairy with them at all?

bol

Aero isn’t too much of a consideration for me. I have all the aero qualities of a shed.

anc
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 this year, which is less than I would normally get with clinchers, don’t get the pinchers which are easily picked up with the holes on the roads round here. Fixed both with tufo extreme sealant.
    Last time I looked cr had some 50% off I think r-sys front and kysrium rear, rear is the same whether is r-sys Slr or kysrium Slr just the front that differs. They should come with a tub also ‘wts’.

bol

So no explosions then?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mavic R-Sys wheels – any first hand experiences?’ is closed to new replies.