Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mavic Open Pro UST – experiences?
  • Dekerf853

Tubed or tubeless?
    What tires?
    Were they easy to fit or ridiculously tight?

I was waiting for the Exalith version but it seems that is delayed, so I will probably go for the standard rim brake version.

Any experiences welcome, thanks.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m quite tempted. GCN guys seem to think Mavic have it sorted with road UST…

[video]https://youtu.be/ALVtgcY1YeM[/video]

For it to work as intended you’d likely need Mavic UST (or probably Hutchinson) tyres. I’ve been running the Hutchinson Fusion 5 tubeless on other rims and am liking them. Other tyres may be a bit hit or miss (rims tend to be sized up, tyre beads sized down.)

slowster
    Free Member

There’s a long thread about the newer Mavic Open Pro rim on the CTC/Cycling UK forum. On this page of the thread, it is suggested that the braking surface of the rim is relatively thin, which might be a concern.

philjunior
    Free Member

There’s a long thread about the newer Mavic Open Pro rim on the CTC/Cycling UK forum. On this page of the thread, it is suggested that the braking surface of the rim is relatively thin, which might be a concern.

I’d be pretty surprised if folk on there didn’t bemoan the lack of braking wear available on what is, after all, a racing component.

Worth bearing in mind if you’re going to use it for the commute though.

Dekerf853

Thanks. That’s sure a long thread, but not much actual experience, apart from one person as far as I can tell.

davefarmer
    Free Member

I have been riding these rims since October.

Really light n lively, fast hand built wheels.

Thin rims though. I dented the rear last week by hitting a pothole. Didn’t even pinch the inner tube, inside sworks turbo tyres. The rim is a write off.

Road tubeless, waste of time, loads of punctures, sealant stuck to me and the bike, pain in the ass.

I ride racing tyres all the time because I like light wheels and good grip. Sworks turbo is the winner for me

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Open Pro UST – experiences?’ is closed to new replies.