Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mavic Open Pro or Open Sport
  • charliemort

Is there a good reason to spend extra on Open Sport?

thx

wwaswas

I thought pro was more?

for the sake of a few quid I’d go for the lighter rim, tbh – it’s a compartively small part of an overall build cost.

Having said that I got Sports on the cross bike I bought fully built and they’ve been fine.

mrmo
    Free Member

Pro is the better rim.

charliemort

yup sorry got that wrong way round

only about 40 g in it for £19 per rim difference

is pro particularly stronger?

Stoner
    Free Member

never owned pros, but have done a fair few miles on some sports I built on to On-One hubs for the pompino. Nice rims to build with – stiff and tension up easily.

TiRed

40g is about the difference between a race tyre and a training tyre. I have some new Pros and they have taken some abuse this week, including some green-laning yesterday (thanks Garmin).

mrmo
    Free Member

Personnel preference is for a welded rim, just find the brake surface more reliable. The Sport is i believe pinned. I could also mention that i have had a pinned rim come loose and rattle.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sports are good VFM I say, I have one on my town bike. If you are on a budget, can’t go wrong.

Bez

Pros won’t be stronger, they’re lighter. Sports make a good all-round rim. Though I don’t like the wear indicator groove they’ve added these days. Up to you whether 80g off the wheels is worth £38. Might be, might not.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bez, the Pros could be stronger – better alloy and profile.

Northwind

Bez – Member

Pros won’t be stronger, they’re lighter

That doesn’t follow at all. I’ve had heavier rims than my Open Sports that weren’t as strong.

Personally if it was a nice straight choice I’d choose the Pros, but there’s nothing at all wrong with my Sports. Good sensible rims.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF I don’t think you can guage rim strength as a cyclist – too many variables.

edhornby

is it for a commuter or handbuilts on a weekends bike ?

for a commuter get sport, weekend bike get excellights 🙂

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16808462

Bez

Mm, fair points on the strength.

Time was in this place you could make sweeping statements without people picking you up on them. It’s gone to the dogs.

for a commuter get sport, weekend bike get excellights

Wahey, that’s my setup 🙂

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Pros won’t be stronger, they’re lighter.

They’re both.. Double eyeleted, so they’re more fatigue resistant too. They’re really nice to build, as they’re usually very round to start with.

edit: the Excellights are nice too, but I’ve built a few of both, and the Pros build easier.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

I ordered sports, CRC sent me Pro’s. They’re on the fixed gear and are great. Got more Pro’s and built them onto 105 hubs for the Kaffenback, they’re great and taking some punishment on the TPT here running cx comps.

In summary, get the Open Pro’s.

edhornby

I have open pro’s on my commuter but would probably get sports if I need a replacement, I can’t see the benefit (although the back is a fixed wheel so never has a brake on the rim and is a 36 hole so it will probably last a lifetime..)

Waderider
    Free Member

I have ceramic coated open pro’s on my tourer, that is regularly taken off-road on 28mm tyres. Because they have ceramic coated braking surfaces the rims have lasted the life of several ordinary rims, and are pretty much good as new after maybe four years and 20,000 kilometres. Obviously there is no point getting premium rims if you don’t use a premium wheel builder 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Open Pro or Open Sport’ is closed to new replies.