Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mavic ksyrium elite?
  • donkeydave

Hi all following on from my shimano ultegra or campag zonda wheel thread, I have been told to wait a while save some money and get a set of ksyrium elites around 500 quid.

I can see they get rave reviews but they are not that much lighter than the above wheelsets are they really worth the extra money?.

I am around 74kg and want these wheels to train on and see me through some sportives this year.

chakaping
    Free Member

What frame for?

Great wheels IMO. Bombproof, stiff and have a great turn of speed as a result of the stiffness.

Can be a bit harsh on a stiff frame, but can make a softer frame feel nice and sharp.

I’ve now moved mine to my winter bike and put RS81s on my good bike though. Similar weight to the Mavics, almost as stiff but in another league for comfort. And cheaper.

donkeydave

Hi thanks for the feedback, they will be going on a giant defy alloy frame, so not sure if this is considered stiff?.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chrisa87
    Free Member

Following with interest, I’ve been eyeing up these wheels for my defy as well

rockchic
    Free Member

£400 would get you a 1400g wheelset with easily available spokes from a wheelbuilder.Spend the rest on some quality tyres.

globalti
    Free Member

The higher-end Mavic wheels are made from quality metals, meaning they can be built with high spoke tensions and are consequently stiff, which you will notice. My Ksyrium SLs have given me five years of reliable service even after I jammed a heel in the spokes and broke one. The repair was simple and cheap.

You do need to maintain the freehubs though, but that’s easy as well.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A wheel is a wheel, believe it or not. Saving another 50% of your initial budget to buy a wheelset that will have a negligible (if any) performance benefit is a daft idea.

THe problem with wheels and frames and whatever else, is they feel different/good for the first ride, and then they feel normal after that. Granted, there’re some that’re way to heavy or flexy, but if you’re spending £350 then this’ll be avoided.

I would agree with the suggestion of good tyres.

BTW, Ksyriums are good wheels, but I’d just buy something cheaper. The fact that you’re riding a Defy suggests that all out performance is probably not at the top of the list.

donkeydave

David thanks for that and I agree with your comments and your right all out performance is not the be all and end all my racing days came to an end a while ago 🙁

This is not to say that if I continue to progress the way I am with training and seeing continued big leaps forward that I will not want to race again.
    This might be next year if things go to plan but if they do the defy will be moved on to make way for a dream bike but that is another story and thread.

I was just told that the shimano ultegra 6800 or campag zondas would not be worth upgrading from the standard giant pr2 wheels that I am using at the moment.

seventyfive
    Free Member

From experience of both wheels I’d say go with the zondas. They are nearly as stiff as elites but are more comfortable and the difference in stiffness when climbing is very minimal. You’ll save yourself a few hundred quid too. I have the new elites on my road bike but would happily swap them out for zondas

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

David thanks for that and I agree with your comments and your right all out performance is not the be all and end all my racing days came to an end a while ago

There was no offence intended BTW, just saw it how it is. I also look for reliability and longevity; 28 or 32 spoke (even at 74kg) custom builts is what I usually go for as they feel stiff and solid. Usually err on the side of caution with wheels as I do tend to wreck them, I don’t think I’d choose any of the cheap/light handbuilt offerings like those cosine/superstar wheels etc. You should be good with Zondas though.

Klunk
    Free Member

I’ve got them on my road bike I’d rather have the ultegras that are on my wifes bike. The mavics are a pain in a the arse the non drive side aero spokes on the rear never stay put always twisting in situ. So much so I have to reset them after every other ride, bloody stupid idea having flat bladed spokes. The front wheel creaks remorselessly when out the saddle weight over the front, tried retensioning the wheel to no avail. the ultegra look better to and the weight difference is not that much.

TiRed

Ksyrium Elites are excellent wheels. I have two sets and I’ve run them on my Defy too, and no DT, it’s all about performance I now use some slightly heavier hand built CXP33 on Dura Ace hubs. And race mine on hilly Surrey League road races.

But get good tyres. Ksyriums take tubeless tyres better than tubeless specific rims. A set of Schwalbe Ones in 25c would be a great combination.

donkeydave

David no offence taken at all 😀

rob2
    Free Member

Have you thought of the just riding along light wheels?

I’ve got a pair and the mavics and I much prefer them.

£400 odd notes from memory.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I used to have some zondas and have had expensive hand-built wheels as well as Chinese carbon wheels too.

The Zondas were every bit as good as any I’ve tried. Very stiff and light for the price. It’s hard to justify spending any more money because there would be very little gain per pound. I expect they would be a considerable improvement over your stock wheels.

On the other hand ebay is a good place to look for the ksyrium elites as there seem to be people selling them quite often. I’ve been tempted in the past purely for the aesthetics but was put off by bad reports on spoke replacement and cassette issues.

whereisthurso
    Free Member
    genesiscore502011
    Free Member

What you training for?

jonba
    Free Member

I always thought these were over priced. For the same money I always ended up looking at Hunt, Cero or a n other kinlin rim on a rebadged novatec hub.

Just riding along is a good shout too. Got some of there wheels on the cx. Best quality build I’ve ever bought. Thousands of miles some more rough than a cx should take. 3 goes at the 3 pks too.

onandon
    Free Member

I had some ksyrium elites fitted to to a new Cannondale I purchased last year. I thought I’d keep them as winter wheels but they were pretty dead feeling and really killed the zippy feeling of the bike.

I have also previously used zondas and would say these are nicer wheels even if the price was equal. The fact they are less expensive means they are a no brainier.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mavic ksyrium elite?’ is closed to new replies.