Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mavic freehub death scream
  • z1ppy

My m8’s CrossMAX XL’s are making this noise..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmgLe1vcq5I[/video]

I’ve had it in bits, and am assuming it caused by the bushing, going from other posts on the interweb. Can anyone confirm this? (no one replied to that posts video)
    Has anyone found a UK source for a replacement bushing, lots for sale from the US (ebay) but we don’t really want to wait 2 week for delivery (or pay for ‘spurious’ priority delivery)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah it’s the hub body nylon bushing. That’s that classic Crossmax scream.

You can get a conversion kit that changes that bushing to a bearing.

z1ppy

Cheers for the conformation.
    Bearing from Hubdoctor? Seen em but as it the price of a new freehub (my m8’s skint), & again got the delivery from the US issue, think we’ll just trying the nylon bushing

Sandwich

The delivery thing is a maximum time. My recent lights purchase took 10 days to arrive from Fasttech and they were on holiday for 3 of those days. I paid for standard delivery. I doubt priority would have arrived any quicker.

z1ppy

Indeedy but would prefer to find a UK supplier, you’d think some-one would sell them, but yes he has a spare wheel in place so we’ll wait (hopefully not too long), if I can’t find a local supplier.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I had this on my mavic crossride, took it apart and cleaned/oiled it then put it on my sons bike 🙂 Not heard it since though.

z1ppy

Yeah I’d seen that suggested too, but as the wheels off a 2004 bike, I think it might be due a new bushing.

wilburt
    Free Member

I would try rebuilding it with the lightest oil possible( I used beard trimmer blade oil last time) it worked on mine.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Horrible noise isnt it, first time i heard it i thought it was the rear disc brake.

I just replaced the same on my crossrides (I got lucky, someone was selling a replacement/new freehub on evilbay), using shimano brake oil (mineral oil) as the lube and its been good.

onandon
    Free Member

Just remove the freehub – clean and lube the main bush with light oil.
    I’ve used various slr wheelsets for 10 years and this solves the problem.

Only change the main bush if you have more than a few mm play in the cassette ( on the largest cog )

My current SLRs started making the noise less than 500 miles after swapping to a new hub Dr bush.
    Really horrible noise when you first hear it 🙂

z1ppy

Noise is disturbing, sounds like the tyre is rubbing on something but we looked and looked (whilst on the ride) and couldn’t see anything and the noise was coming and going, finally narrowing it down to the fact it must be wheel related as it was the only thing turning…

and sorry yes, that the other reason to replace.. there’s definite play in the freehub

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mavic freehub death scream’ is closed to new replies.