Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mavic EN827 rims… Anyone?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Anyone used them yet? They’re very new to the market, but look like a worthy contender… Especially seeing as Mavics rims are usually a bit tougher ally than some of the competition at least, and though they’re not full UST any more, they are now of a competitive width for the first time in ages!

DiscJockey
    Free Member

They look pretty much the same as my 729s….although I’m guessing a tad lighter.

Anyhow, I’d be more than happy to get them – they look damn nice.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve found in the past the cheap mavics aren’t up to much (weigh a tonne or are a bit easy to put out of shape), but the more expensive ones are great. these are kind of mid range price and features wise so, er, dunno.

andyl
    Free Member

They actually look pretty good. No 26″ though!

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve found in the past the cheap mavics aren’t up to much (weigh a tonne or are a bit easy to put out of shape), but the more expensive ones are great. these are kind of mid range price and features wise so, er, dunno.

8 series are the expensive Mavic’s. They’re no longer full UST, rather they’re tubeless ready (just like Stan’s and most others) which may account for the fact they’re only £62 each… Over the years I’ve had 819’s, 821’s and 823’s, all have been solid as a rock and I was a fan of proper UST, though the rims were never the widest and they were a faff to build with the fore nipples.

So I’m hoping they’ll live up to the previous 8 series incarnations… But was after any first hand experience if there was any.

They look pretty much the same as my 729s….although I’m guessing a tad lighter.

More than a tad! I’ve had some 729’s, they were 675g each in 26″! These 827’s are 490g for the 27.5 version!

They actually look pretty good. No 26″ though!

Rim shape looks spot on, personally I find the new Stans mk3 rims and the Easton ARC’s a little too low profile, they make the side profile aesthetic “all tyre, no rim” especially on a 29er. Not that that’s especially important or anything, more bothered by the performance but there we go.

Oh and why would there be a 26″ version on a new high end rim? Whilst 26″ may not yet be dead (and indeed will take a very long time to die off, if at all) nobody is buying anything high end in 26″ any more. You can’t give decent 26″ tyres away it seems, so why would you make a new rim in a size that doesn’t sell? Sad, but true I’m afraid…

andyl
    Free Member

Stans brought out their Mk3’s in 26″, I wanted new wider, decent weight rims so I bought some.

ersonally I find the new Stans mk3 rims and the Easton ARC’s a little too low profile, they make the side profile aesthetic “all tyre, no rim”

who gives a crap about that? 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mavic EN827 rims… Anyone?’ is closed to new replies.